Is it possible to install Ubuntu 12.04.1 on a 16GB pendrive?

Overlod Eyser November 6, 2012

I want to install Ubuntu on my pendrive but I don’t know if it is possible. If it is, what’s a great pen drive for this purpose?

1. fallen heart

Yes you can make it bootable pendrive. unetbootin on linux or usbimage writer on linux and linuxlive on windows.

2. shaju

I have installed 12.4 ubuntu on both 4&16 gb usb flash drives. Both boot trouble free. Only needs to locate the start up drive as usb.

3. Declan Lopez

yes, any flash drive should work. you can use unetbootin to install ubuntu to the flash drive and set persistence so it will save changes you make

4. Arun Vishnu

very easily.first partition your p[endrive and install it

5. Vishal Srivastava

Its pretty easy to do so. Use unetbootin if you don't want to install other OS on the same drive and Yumi ( if you want to. 2GB pendrive is all you need.

6. Adriel Tan

Sure! UnetBootin, is a tool that works very well. As far as thumbdrives go, just get a fast thumbdrive from famous and good brands (sandisk,toshiba,kingston...). Do note that the BIOS must be able to boot from USB thumdrives, if not it will not work.

7. Timothy Liem

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on 4 GB pendrive and it ran well. so, you can do it.

8. Declan Lopez

yes you can, you can use unetbooin and install to any flash drive you want. i have it installed on a 16gb kingston flash drive with 10gb of persistence so i can save changes when i use it again

9. Mitesh Chudasama

Hii there,
    Yeah, ubuntu need minimum 4.4 gb space for install.

10. Abba Jee

yes it is possible :)

November 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm is possible.You can use Universal USB installer to do this.16GB pendrive is too much for this.Even a 2 GB can work better for this purpose.

12. shaquille lijkwan

yes you can search on google for tuts

You won't need a 16GB drive - 4GB is probably more than enough for most live installations.

I find that the best way to test out various flavors of Linux is by using a Live USB. The best software for this is LiLi USB Creator. It will turn any flash drive into a bootable copy of Linux. In addition, it will also allow you to virtually run Linux from within another operating system using a software called VirtualBox.

My preference is using live USB drives for recovery solutions. Such as zapping viruses. For such purposes, PartedMagic is easily my favorite. It's also available from within LiLi USB Creator. Basically, LiLi will download the distribution for you. Just follow the directions below:

Justin Pot wrote a really good article about the subject here.

There are also multiboot solutions, which allow you to boot from any of multiple Linux ISOs on a single pen drive. I've tended to have problems with these kinds of bootable discs, but in case you want to find out more, check out this link.

14. Adam Campbell

yep, use unetbootin, which btw is included in the ubuntu distro. Any pen (flash) drive will work fine

15. Dhaval Patel

the minimum free space on hard drive required to install Ubantu 12.04.1 is 10 GB. So, you can install ubantu on any pendrive which have free space more than 10 GB.
    thats it

16GB is plenty big enough. Don't use some cheap knock-off or refurb unless you want problems

17. Jim B.

Keep in mind that you do not need to install using unetbootin. In fact, I highly recommend against it. Just point the installer to your 16gb flash stick and do a normal install. I have 3 16gb sticks installed in that way. They work 100%. And you have space left over for lots of programs. You can still use a normal HDD while booted off the flash stick so you don't necessarily need to use the stick as your data storage device.

hope you got your answer
    and in my opinion, 8 Gigs are much more than enough for ubuntu and in the remaining 8 you can install some other linux, might come handy ;)

16GB is big enough

if you are trying to run live programs via USB , the performance will always be less than when they have been installed. of course this depends on the system where you use it.

if you want more performance, you can create a Live USB on a pendrive which Supports USB 3.0 . USB 3.0 is faster than USB 2.0.

20. Blake Andreasen
    This will download the ISO and put it on the drive as well

21. Boni Oloff

Yes you can. But you need to make sure the pendrive has a good speed so it will not very slow to load.

22. Aniket Singh
  23. Naveen Kumar

yes you can install in it. If you have problems in installation check this out

24. Lisa Santika Onggrid

You definitely can. I install some distros in my 4GB pendrive and they work smoothly. Mint and Ubuntu in 4GB Live USB work well, so 16 GB should be plentiful.

• Harshal Warkhede

yes. i also tried it. it works!

You can use unetbootin to install Ubuntu on USB devices. The drive does not matter a whole lot - just go with what you like. I have several SanDisk thumbdrives that I use for this purpose.