How can I install Ubuntu 12.04 on partitions created by Windows 7?

Rajeev Dandu May 5, 2012

I have Ubuntu 12.04 and I have made in Windows 7 one primary partition for Windows7 i.e C: drive and one automatically generated primary partition i.e ‘system reserved’. I created 6 logical partitions using EASEUS Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition. In them, I have given partitions for Ubuntu (i.e 30GB) and swap area (9GB) both of NTFS format, since I can change it later anyways.

Now the problem is, when I want to install Ubuntu 12.04, at partition step, I am not able to see those 8 partitions including C: and ‘System Reserved’. It’s empty except with some ‘/dev/sda/’ something like that (I don’t remember, sorry). It is showing that 500 GB is present, but no partitions!
Please help me how to install Ubuntu in it.

One more thing I want to ask. In this new Ubuntu I’m not able to see the taskbar as previous editions with ‘Applications, Places, System’ like that! Where can I find those things and can we change the taskbar as like previous editions’ taskbar?

My question is long. Thank you for your patience.
Thank you!!!

1. alok

you need to create basic partition in comparison to the dynamic partition in your hard disk

2. Aruzmeister

Ya while installing the ubuntu you have select ext or some other kind of partion

3. Kyem Ghosh

you cannot install ubuntu directly using NTFS as it is only meant for windows. So it doesn't detect your partitions made by win7. But after it gets installed, you can surely detect them! You can shrink one partition with your c drive if you install ubuntu directly or else use wubi. Bt I'm not sure if it works for this latest version 12.04. But I feel safe to install ubuntu directly to ur computer cz wubi may sometimes cause ubuntu to crash....

4. Reý Aetar

Applications, Places, System are not there just you need to click the launch button
    The Head-Up Display (HUD) appears type whatever you want to open ,select the appropropriate result it will open or you will find lenses in the bottom use them
    its amazing but if still if you want the old style ‘Applications, Places, System’ like that use linux mint

5. Reý Aetar

switch your machine on log in your windows account then insert the boot disc the wubi installer starts select the partition and install reboot choose the os to start ....all done
    ubuntu has out of the box support for ntfs

6. Susendeep Dutta

You can dual boot windows and Ubuntu by visiting the link below and get to know how to do it -

http://askubuntu.com/questions/107538/how-do-i-set-up-a-dual-boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu

It would be safe that you backup your data before installing Ubuntu in another partition.

Regarding the UI of Ubuntu,it's Unity 3D .

How to Install & Use GNOME Shell on Ubuntu -

http://www.howtogeek.com/112620/how-to-install-use-gnome-shell-on-ubuntu/

• Rajeev Dandu

Hi,
      Suppose if I download gnome 64-bit in windows OS, can I use it in ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit)?
      Or I have to download gnome in ubuntu only?
      If I can download it through windows itself, how to install it in ubuntu?
      Please tell me.
      Thank You!