How can I install Ubuntu 12.04 without making a CD?

shaurya boogie August 23, 2012

I am sick of Windows and i want to install Ubuntu 12.04. I already downloaded the iso file from Ubuntu.com. Please help me to install it directly from hard disk without using CD or USB and dual boot it with Windows 7.

1. rao ammar

i have windows 7 istalled on my laptop and i want to run latest ubuntu version along with it . i dont have any cd and want to download it from internet on windows 7

2. Benjamin Glass

I'd agree with everyone else: download Wubi from the Ubuntu page. The only downside to this is that you are limited to 30 GB of hard drive space for Ubuntu.

3. shaurya boogie

Thnx guys, used wubi.
    .
    Rocking with ubuntu...

4. a001efa6a1f227734b9e56a468e45763

You won't be able to do it the way you are saying. The only option you have is to get a pre-written Ubuntu disc.

5. Edgar Meixueiro

If you don't want to use USB, CD, or Wubi, I believe there is no other choice to install Ubuntu.

6. Nart Barileva

You can use the Windows installer (wubi) from the Ubuntu website which has a guide to installing it. Here's the link: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-ubuntu-with-windows

7. 761b389db2d5c4f7a902538bc78f49b9

Following link may help you out:-

Mount ISO files as a Virtual CD / DVD drive
    http://techie-buzz.com/how-to/mount-iso-files-as-a-virtual-cd-dvd-drive.html

8. Nika Shvelidze

You can use Unetbootin or Universal USB Installer to create bootable install partition from Ubuntu ISO

9. Tug Ricks

Just out of curiosity, what's not going well with Windows 7?

• shaurya boogie

I have been using windows since i was 3. So i am sick of this windows thing. And secondly, I gotcha develop in php that won't configure onto my windows 7. And lastly, Ubuntu is a way better than other os's coz it has better multitasking and all that stuff. All thats not there is many apps or a few driver compatibility.

• Dhruv Sangvikar

Ya agreed about getting bored after using the same os for so many years. But still don't expect ubuntu to be up and running just after installation. You will have to download some extras and learn the basic look and interface to get your tasks done efficiently. And I would suggest you to not uninstall windows. therefore, a Wubi installation is recommended. Cheers. :)

Sorry, borked the tag. Go to the Ubuntu Wubi page and follow the instructions there on how to download and install Ubuntu using the Wubi installer directly instead of needing to mount an ISO image file.

If you have UltraISO or VirtualDrive Pro or a similar package, you can directly mount the ISO and treat it as a mounted CD/DVD. You could then execute the installer from there to perform a Wubi install. Or you can go to the Ubuntu Wubi page and follow the instructions there to download and install using the Wubi installer directly.

• shaurya boogie

But i dont wanna use wubi coz there is a bit of light going problem in my area in india, and my pc aint on a ups or an inverter. So how i can i install it from that iso that i mounted with daemon tools.

• Justin Pot

Wubi is your choice if you want to install Ubuntu from within Windows. It's simple as that.

Hypothetically you could create a 1 gig partition and use UNetBootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to write the Ubuntu live environment to that partition, then boot from that, then install Ubuntu to yet another partition from there. I've no idea if it would work but you could give it a try.

• Frederick Doe

There's no risk-free way to install Ubuntu without a reliable power supply. No matter which technique you choose, a power outage during installation will make the computer unusable. You REALLY need to use a CD or USB drive because it will allow you to restart the installation process if it's interrupted.