How can I install my printer when the Windows Installer aborts due to an invalid drive?

David Armstrong May 14, 2011

I had an external drive which died. I now continually get an error message: “Windows installer, preparing to install” and then: “invalid drive L:\”

I have uninstalled the printer and now can’t install as the L drive issue causes a fatal error. I’ve tried both CD and online installs.

Hello, Did you by any chance had the external drive as a mapped network drive?  In order to find out, click on the Computer/My Computer icon and see if there is a network drive with the letter L: appearing under network drive.  If your drive L: appears as a network drive, highlight the drive, right click and select disconnect. 

Also you could try creating a virtual drive that matches with the letter of the invalid drive.  To do so, these are the steps:

-- click on start
    -- click on run
    -- type cmd and press enter
    -- type the following command:

Subst L: C:

Now, this is the hard way solution for your problem.  You could try going into the registry and search for all the entries under L:.  Once you find the entries for L:, you will have to delete them one by one.  As a warning, playing with the registry is really tricky and can turn your computer into a doorstop really quick.  Before playing with registry make sure you backup your system and make a system restore point.  To get into registry follow the next steps:

-- click on start
    -- click on run or type the following on search box
    -- type regedit
    -- when registry opens, on menu click on Edit
    -- select Find
    -- type L: and press enter
    -- on box on right side, you will see an entry highlighted
    -- right click and delete
    -- hit F3 (find next) and the next entry found will be shown
    -- right click and select delete
    -- do this until you delete all the entries with L: on it
    -- once registry tells you there are no more entries under L: found
    -- restart computer and then
    -- try installing your printer's software.

I would be a good idea also to backup the registry to a folder.  To do so follow the instructions on the following link:
    http://www.worldstart.com/backing-up-the-registry/

Go to device manager and look for any yellow sign then right click and choose uninstal and reboot.