How can I install OS X Lion on an external hard drive?

Michael O'Brien November 14, 2011

I was having data corruption problems on my internal HD. ¬†Thought I’d reinstall Lion before thinking of new HD. That problem was solved.

Being beyond reach of Wi-Fi, I thought to create a bootable external HD as insurance. I followed the steps in your article at “//www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-osx-lion-external-drive-test-mac/ How To Install OSX Lion On An External Drive To Test It Out [Mac] How To Install OSX Lion On An External Drive To Test It Out [Mac] One of the great things about Macs is that the OS is bootable on any Mac machine, regardless of which computer it was originally installed on. This means that if your desktop breaks, you can... Read More “, located OSinstall.mpkg from the previous download & attempted to install. Then I receive the message “Installer can’t find the data it needs to install.”

Thoughts?

1. Michael

When I attempted installation, I double-clicked OSinstall.mpkg. Not sure what it means to say Lion couldn't find it.

Checked out the MacWorld reference. I've never seen Terminal before, I know nothing of UNIX. The command provided looks, to a novice like me, like it's installing Snow Leopard from a DVD. That's a cat of a different stripe. 

It's not my style to take such a bold step, knowing so little.
    It might be more prudent to outlay the shekes for the Lion thumb drive and install from there.
    I wish I'd done that in the first place.