How can I install OS X on a laptop running Windows 7 Premium?

Injeet May 19, 2011

I just bought a HP DV6-3250 us and I was bit confused before buying it and confusion was Mac or Windows. Well, now I have it, but is it possible or will be good to make a partition of hard disk and to install Mac also on other part?

Rest I want to know, what will be good for performance and life of my laptop? I use it like 10 hours daily, it’s with I5 480 m processor an 4 GB RAM and 750 GB hard disk, Windows 7 Premium.

I will wait for your suggestions.

1. T_olivar

Okay, after what the others have offered, I will now add my two cents worth.

You really don´t want to use MacOS X. It is a version of Linux, called Darwin. So skip the idea of loading it and just try KUBUNTU 10.04. I am currently using UBUNTU, version 11.04 which uses a different desktop that takes awhile to get use to. I suggest KUBUNTU because the KDE desktop is more like WINDOWS in it? look and feel.

You can use KUBUNTU or UBUNTU under WINDOWS as an application. But you will need to use WUBI to load either of them. What WUBI does is basically creates a large file on your WINDOW´S drive/partition, and then loads the Linux OS and support software into that file. It then allows a boot manager to see that file as if it was a separate partition and boots into it if you select it. I liked it when I was trying UBUNTU for the first time, because it allowed me to remove the Linux OS later.

Do your research into WUBI and KUBUNTU before using them. I think that you may like using Linux OS more so than WINDOWS. That is why I am moving over to Linux as my main OS and leaving WINDOWS as my secondary OS.

Hello, with regards to installing OS X you already got your answer.  It is not worth the hassle.  With regards to keeping your computer running on top shape there are a few things you can do.

First thing I would do would be to create a repair disk for your laptop and also a disk image.  You can use the software provided either for HP or you can use the tools provided by Microsoft.  To create a disk image and the repair disk follow the next steps:

-- click on orb
    -- on search bar, type backup
    -- click on the backup and repair entry on the result
    -- on right hand side box of your screen click on create a disk image
    -- if it does not ask you to create a repair disk, select create a repair disk

For the tools provided by the laptop's manufacturer check under HP to find the disk creation utility.

The next step I would take would be downloading and installing a software called PC DECRAPIFIER.  What this software does is checked for software/crapware that you do not need.  When you run this software it will check your computer and tell what software you can get rid off and if you decide to follow the advice, it will uninstall it for you.  Some of the software that automatically gets marked for deletion is trial software for antivirus and also any other trials.  Of course, it is up to you if you want to keep the software or not
    http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

Also I would download CCleaner so that you can keep your computer clean.  This tool will  help your laptop to get rid of history, cookies, cache, etc.  Of course it is up to you what you want to clean or not.  I would use the default settings and also I would stay away from the Registry Cleaner included with it.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Make sure that the firewall included with windows 7 is turn on and next download a antivirus.  There are several options that are free and also if you want to buy there are a few good choices.  If you want to download a free version I would try any of the following too:
    http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

Now that your system is cleaned of crapware and you have protection it is just a matter of you being careful on what you download and the sites you visit.  Also make sure that you schedule backups for your system and do regular maintenance task such as running complete scans with your antivirus, defragment your drives, etc.  Also for better protection you might as well download and use any of the following browsers:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/
    http://www.google.com/chrome/
    http://www.opera.com/

• Injeetsingh

Thanks  Guys for your suggestions and Fidelis i have already created repair disk and image disk etc, total was like 8 dvd,s that i had to write of all system but i did not knew about other things you have explain and i was also thinking that how can i know about all the softwares that has come with system from HP and windows itself that what is crap and what is necessary but now i will download that program. rest i cannot put the windows firewall on because msg shows that its due to norton internet security that came with system 60 days free trial , may be after that 60 days i can remove norton and i can install another antivirus like Avast and may be then i will be able to have firewall also on, what do you think guys ? also i wanted to know about ubunto ? what is that system and will help with windows seven ?

3. Roy

As far as installing OS X, I agree that it isn't worth the hassle.  If you're truly interested in a "hackintosh", the best way to go about it (in terms of making it work - but it's still not legal) is to do a little research before buying a laptop.  Find out which models are known to run OS X with no issues and minimal effort.  And if you were to do that, don't try to dual-boot it with any PC manufacturer's factory installation of Windows.

Even at that, it will be somewhat crippled in terms of updating.  I had OS X running very well on my Dell laptop for quite a while.  It was stable and everything worked, though it required a lot of hacking initially.  The only problem was that I couldn't update the OS at all without starting over all the hacking from scratch!  Sure, it would have still run just fine, but I prefer being able to update.  So I eventually reformatted it and installed Windows 7.

In regards to your performance question, the first thing I would do is uninstall any unnecessary software that HP has pre-installed.  There's no reason to have stuff running on your computer that you don't really need, taking up system resources.  Other than that, a Core i5 with 4 GB of RAM should perform pretty well.

Performance wise, you've already shot yourself in the foot by buying an HP laptop. It is presumably also loaded with crapware from them, and has a recovery partition that you are likely to destroy if you start messing around with osx/hackintosh. 

Honestly, its not worth the hassle. It's a complicated hack around at best, a weekend of frustration, random crashes and incompatible drivers, and one big headache you probably dont need, regardless of legal issues. 

5. Adrieltan1

It is not possible to do it Legally. But it may be possible(OS X86), I DO not recommend doing this as it will cause lots of problems. You can't even boot from the CD without a patch.