How do I install OpenWRT on my router using Windows?

Anonymous August 12, 2014

Is it possible to install and use OpenWRT on my router using a Windows Operating System ? I am very much new to customizing the router, so I have very little knowledge on this. It would be a great help if I could be given the steps to make it happen.

Thanks.

1. Aakash B

That was INDEED a great help! Thank YOU so much... :)

2. Jeff F

In addition to Oron's advice, I would like to say that you should make a backup of your current firmware before you flash it. This way, if things don't pan out as you intend them to, you can always revert to your previous firmware with the exact same configuration.

With that being said, start by obtaining a copy of the OpenWRT, DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. Do your research to find out which firmware is right for your needs. Once downloaded, open up your router's configuration webpage by typing your network gateway address into your web browser's URL bar and logging in as an administrator account. Proceed to find the area where you either update or change the router firmware. You will be required to upload and install the firmware to the device, just follow the instructions from there.

Helpful & Related Articles
    What Is DD-WRT And How It Can Make Your Router Into A Super-Router
    The Top 6 Alternative Firmwares For Your Router
    What Is OpenWrt And Why Should I Use It For My Router?

3. Aakash B

Someone told be Tomato is better to start with, but OpenWRT has maximum flexibility.

• Jan F

Tomato is a nice firmware, been using it myself for some time. But it's official router support is limited. You can find it at the following link
      http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Since you are new to this topic I recommend sticking with firmware + router combinations which are known to work and progress from there.

Given that by your own admission you're an abwsolute beginner to this, would it not be better to start with something like DD-WRT which is based on OpenWRT by "prepackaged" and so, easier to get started with? It requires flashing your router, which you can do from any computer, Windows or otherwise. Instructions are available on the DD-WRT website.