How do I install missing packages in Ubuntu?

David March 30, 2010

I can’t find the “networking” thing, I can only see “network tools”.
Shouldn’t this come with Ubuntu? Using Ubuntu network remix btw. all screenshots I’ve seen with “networking” I think used regular Ubuntu. I remember somehow getting it, though I forget how. I downloaded through software manager or something, can’t find it now, though.

It’s the same issue for mint. Trying to connect through to broadband, have my login and password ready, entered into dsl, not working, sudo pppoeconfig + plog not working.

1. Varun Kashyap

I assume that you have run "sudo pon" after pppoeconfig. If not then do so, that triggers the network connection. If you did that then I would need some screenshots or command outputs to see what is going on. What is the output of plog command when you run it?

2. Dmitry

If you have problems with pppoe, try RoaringPenguin pppoe. For some ISP's it is only way to establish internet connection.
    You can download it from here http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/pppoe
    After downloading, untar it and enter 'sudo ./go-gui'. After compiling you can launch it with the "tkpppoe". If you got problems with compiling, try to install packages 'tk8.5' adn 'tcl8.5' which can be found on official repo and on launchpad.