Can I install Mac OS X on a Dell?
Question by Al /

I have a Dell with a Pentium 4 processors. How do I install Mac OS X on it?

• Simon Barnett

S’true MUO has articles on Hackintoshing.. no law saying you can’t write about it. It’s illegal, but Apple is doing too well to concern themselves with small-time experimenters who are getting to know the platform better and may ultimately end up buying a real Mac someday due to the difficulty of making a hackintosh.

It can be extremely hard work for sure, and unless you’ve got the perfect set of .kexts and boot.plist settings for a particular hardware configuration, you’re unlikely to be going into it full time like PsyStar did (drawing Apple’s attention in the process).

As for Pentium 4: I agree it’s much harder, but not impossible. I struck it lucky with a Pentium 4 experiment: plugged a USB stick with MacOS X 10.6.3 (including the default hackintosh FakeSMC.kext, Chameleon etc.) into my Dad’s ancient Pentium 4 at work an it actually booted into Mac. However with only 512mb RAM it was unbearably slow.

Best answer. 

But Al, in short, no you can’t. Too old, too much effort to get it working eve half-way. If you want o build  a hackingtosh, you really do need to buy compatible components from the start. 

• Mulder

You can do it, and there is at least one method that should work for most PCs, but if you don’t buy Mac OS X, your copy is pirated and therefore you’ve committed a felony crime. Even if you were to buy a copy of Mac OS X and try to install that, you would get no support for it, and just the act of doing it violates the User Agreement.

Whether legal or not, you’d probably have a much easier time running a purchased copy in a virtualized environment using Parallels or VMware for Windows. Or, you could just save yourself a lot of frustration and buy a Mac.

• {Matt}

Unfortunately you can’t without experiencing a lot of problems. It also isn’t legal to install Mac OS X to anything but Apple computers.  I’m sure any attempt to post info on how to illegally install OS X on a non Apple computer would not be supported by this forum. Sorry.