Can I install Mac OS 10.6 natively on a motherboard that runs EFI BIOS?

Zachary September 15, 2011

After reading the article How to Install Mac OS X on a PC (Without Using a Mac) How to Install Mac OS X on a PC (Without Using a Mac) How to Install Mac OS X on a PC (Without Using a Mac) Read More on MakeUseOf I am curious to know if I can install Mac OS natively on this motherboard or a similar one. By natively, I mean without using iBoot or other such EFI emulators. Thanks a bunch.

Without modifications you simply cannot install Mac OS X on a none Apple hardware, period. 

You will always need a boot loader like iBoot or Chameleon to "trick" Mac OS X into thinking it is a legitimate Apple hardware.

• Z Donaldson1@gmail.com

Interesting. How does the OS know that it's legit Apple hardware?

I don't know the actual methods used to "protect" OSX from being installed on hardware other then Apple - creators of tools like iBoot or Chameleon could probably answer that. 

If you want a guess I would say it's a combination of "string" tests and actual hardware feature tests. 

For example they could probe the model identifier of the motherboard (these are strings like "iMac12,2", "Macmini5,2", ...). Another thing that is most likely checked is the Boot ROM version (EFI Firmware version, combination of model identifier and Firmware revision) along with commands unique to the Apple EFI. 
        Then there is most likely some sort of Hardware UUID test. If you buy a new Mac the DVDs that ship with it will only work on this one device. They will fail to install even on a Mac of with the exact same model and hardware. Retail DVDs don't have that limitation but they probably still contain some testing within this area. 

For what it's worth it could also be as simple as checking that the logic boards manufacturer is "Apple, Inc" (logic board is the term used by Apple for motherboard). 

• Me

I have leopard running on an acer aspire 5050 with a dual core amd processor without any modifications.  It was installed from an leopard dvd.  The laptop is about 4 years old and the only thing that gave me some grief was the wireless, but it is working well now

Congratulations on getting it running without even knowing what you did or downloaded...

The Aspire 5050 doesn't even have EFI to begin with. That means without something like PC EFI, Chameleon and the likes Mac OS X (or the Installation DVD) wouldn't even boot.
        Then it's also a pure AMD machine - at least I haven't seen any Intel configuration on the market and you already said yours is AMD. Since Apple has never used AMD CPUs there is no compatible Kernel Extension within Mac OS X.

2. Sonny Bass

Not likely.Read here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html and follow links.