How can I install Lubuntu in a 128 MB RAM old laptop?

Alfons June 28, 2010

I want to install Lubuntu on an old Toshiba Satellite. I saw that Lubuntu can run on a 128 MB RAM PC, that’s the amount of memory that I have on my laptop. But I guess that the graphical installer needs a bit more and that’s why I can’t install it. Could you recommend me any how to, for a CLI install? Any idea is really welcome. Thanks!

1. Gqpolo

Dont use that distro it will be too slow...try the latest version of puppylinux

2. Ghart

just a suggestion .. try to install an older ubuntu version. yes .. ubuntu! or maybe xubunutu, whatever. and than try to update. you wont come far, but that might be the way.

3. MikeInSATX

Try removing the hard drive from your laptop, installing it on another box that has >128MB, and install the OS there. Once it's installed, move the drive back to your laptop. It should work, although some of the drivers will be different.

4. Dutchie

hey alfons, in response to ur question, if ur pc has a hard drive it should be quite easy to jus download the os and install it on the machine the process should go through smoothly. But if u lack a hard drive ur best option would be to run the computer from a bootable cd... the website of the os should give u detailed instructions as how to do this.