Can I install a Linux operating system on a Toshiba Techra 8000?

Myke46 February 22, 2011

I recently came upon a Toshiba Techra 8000 System Unit Model# PATB00U. I’m trying to find a power source for it to see what’s up. Does anyone have any information on this device?

I’m hoping to install a Linux OS on it. I tried to look in Toshiba’s site, but had no luck. I figured if the information is out there to be had, this is about the best ‘brain-picking-place’.

1. Myke46

As always you guys come through.A couple of more things;will adding space(usb)allow for larger distributions,or would I have to also upgrade hardware?I'm very interested in learning Linux but I'm just starting,although I would never give up Win7(Microsoft finally got it right).Also,I need to find a power supply cable,Any suggestions?
    Thank all of you for the help
    Myke46

2. Luke Matthews

Here's an amazon page with more information: http://amzn.to/iehXnv

Something that old I'd look into something like Damn Small Linux. You'll want a very lightweight distro because the latest Ubuntu, Fedora, etc are going to choke on that old hardware running gnome or kde.

3. Josh Fox

From what I can tell about the computer, the hardest part of using Linux is if you intend to use the dial-up modem. Software based modems and Linux don't mix very well, but it might be possible to find drivers. Another thing that might present a problem is finding a distribution that has low enough system requirements to run on it. You may end up being stuck with minimalist light-weight distributions. I think the most "full" distributions that can run on that with reasonable performance would be Slackware, which requires either considerable knowledge of the operating system or a strong urge to learn it, or one of the lighter Ubuntu derivatives like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Xubuntu is more similar to the Gnome desktop, while Lubuntu is more similar to KDE. That's just as far as graphical appearance though, they should both function in similar ways with the same backend. I've never heard of the graphics chipset listed for that computer, so I can't say if any of the distributions would reject it, but considering the age, it's probably built-in with a generic driver.

Linux will definitely run on ~ it does even on Texas Instruments calculators :-)

It's more about which distribution you are choosing and how much work (searching and installing drivers) you will have to do. This depends on the configuration of the laptop.

You can find all possible hardware configurations within the following PDF
    http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/tecra_8000.pdf