Can I install iTunes on Ubuntu?

Lai Wilson May 2, 2012

Can I install iTunes on Ubuntu?

If not, is there an alternate to iTunes in Ubuntu and how much difference is there in terms of the functionality?

1. Lexx

From what I've researched thus far... Native iTunes won't even run an install under wine without heavy dll and pre-reg hacking wine's environment, and even then when an update comes out, you are back to square one.

I have had awesome success installing it under virtualbox and windows xp. This is pretty much like dual booting, but instead of rebooting you just fire up a virtbox and away you go. You do need an actual Windows install CD (or in my case an ISO) as virtualbox doesn't come with a standard windows system; and there is of course the install time for windows. But overall I've been able to sync, update iTunes and my iPod without issues.

Other alternatives: Rhythmbox and Banshee, you can sync but won't be able to update your iPod via these. I personally love Rythombox when I want to sync, because it doesn't lock me down and demand to reformat if I put another song on my iPod while I'm away from home.

2. Sachin Kanchan

itunes is available for mac and windows but not for linux...

3. Justin Pot

The simple answer is: no. The complex answer is: no.

You could try to get it working with Wine or Crossover, but it will turn out being a huge waste of your time and will likely never be able to do things like update your phone.

Having said that, you can do pretty much anything on your phone without plugging it in. I'd recommend looking in to that, because iTunes on Ubuntu is a dead end.

• toot

I would share the same view with you.

Wine or Crossover certainly would help to work with iOS device but not in full function as iTunes does in windows platform. Nevertheless, neither all version of iTunes works in WIne or Crossover unless improvement has been on the latest software to support the new version iTunes.

4. Richard Carpenter

iTunes can be installed on ubuntu via Crossover, which isn't free but not too expensive. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/ This is the best option if you ever need to do a restore, there is not any support outside of iTunes for restore/update functions.

That said, Ubuntu itself has fair iPod support for the older gen models, but the newer one will need Banshee or media player player with iPod syncing support. They can sync with the iPod and let you manage the music on it. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod

• toot

Hi, does the Banshee support to sync apps and ios upgrade?

Understand that Banshee is able to sync music but not other else can it do.

• Richard Carpenter

Just Music, only iTunes will let you do apps and iOS management.

iPod support is limited in linux, the only full feature option is iTunes, but getting it to work properly can be a pain and it may not work at all.

You could run Windows in virtualbox and install itunes in it, then use it when you need to sync. This process takes a little bit to do, but it is simple to do and would have the best all around support.

Apple does not make a Linux version of iTunes; only Windows and Mac. You can find a list of alternatives here: http://alternativeto.net/software/itunes/?platform=linux As I have not used the majority of these, I cannot give you any kind of useful evaluation, but there are descriptions on the site that will give you an idea of how well they will meet your needs. I have found that even though some of these types of programs will sync with most mp3 players and phones, they may not work well with iDevices, so if this is a consideration, you may have to try several different ones before you find one that will work for you.