How can I install iOS 4 on my iPod Touch 2G using Ubuntu 10.04?

Amaan June 21, 2010

Now that iOS 4 is out, is there ANY way I can install it to my iPod Touch directly from Ubuntu? If I have to, I can use Windows, but it’s too slow compared to Ubuntu. I’m running Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. Anyone?

1. AntonioPT

You can install Wine, then install iTunes in Wine and do the upgrade as you would do in Windows.

• Wakawakamush

Did you ever try that? (No, you didn't, iTunes in wine doesn't work like it would do in windows

2. J O Williams

No. I run Red Hat's Fedora Core 13 on my PC. In addition I have an Microsoft XP Virtual client running on the Linux. I did an upgrade using the XP Virtual Client and "bricked" my Iphone 3. To "un-brick" (is that a word) my iphone I had to use my wife's laptop and then went back to the Linux Virtual XP Client to restore everything. The virtual machine is VirtualBox. I authorized my wife's PC just long enough to download iOS4. When the iphone started looking for the AT&T authorization, I hooked it back to my Linux.

3. Reya276

But lets say after you upgrade the iPhone/iPod Touch to the new iOS4 will Ubuntu still recognize the device? That is my fear that somehow Steve Jobs might have screwed us once again.

• Jessica Cam W.

I used iTunes in my Windows machine to upgrade my non-jailbroken iPod Touch 2G with iOS4 and Ubuntu 10.04 does recognize my iPod fine. Rhythmbox is also able to play the songs in my iPod (something Amarok couldn't do very well for some reason as it would list all the songs in my iPod but couldn't play them while Banshee didn't recognize/list my iPod). In Rhythmbox, I was also able to transfer songs by drag-and-dropping to the iPod icon, which was easier than I thought. If none of those work, you could try the gtkpod iPod manager, which works for select models. I tried it in an attempt to transfer photos/videos, but my iPod isn't supported. :(

4. Jessica Cam W.

Even though there are media players such as Amarok, that can sync your iPod with your computer in Ubuntu, iTunes is the only program that can get and run the iOS 4 update so like Skyhigh said, no. To be honest, on my Windows machine, the download, update and backup by iTunes took several hours, but after that, it'll be worth it.

5. Skyhigh

Short answer: no . Use windows. Let us know after you installed ios 4 , if ubuntu can browse your iPod pics and music and if you can copy a .mov from ubuntu to iPod using nautilus. thanks. Also anyone know this for iPhone 3gs