Why can I not install Internet Explorer 9 on my Dell running Windows 7 32-bit?

Ray Nelson July 27, 2011

We have two Windows 7 systems. Internet Explorer 9 installed effortlessly on the 64-bit machine, but the Dell 32-bit refuses to install, linking to an error page that gives 4 recommendations, all of which either were already implemented or have been tried to no avail.

I have as yet to see any answers online to this issue.

I think it has to do with being a “Trusted Installer” on systems sold by Dell, since I ran into that on other issues, but that is only a pure guess.

Please let me know if you have input beyond the Dell support response.

1. Ray Nelson

So after organizing the system, backing everything up I started a re-install of Windows to build it from Scratch and in process get things into order so it will install the updates.   

1 hr into copying files it says: "Windows cannot copy files required for installation.  The files may be corrupt or missing.  Make sure all the files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.  Error Code: 0x80070017"It is an install from my original W7 disk...   Anyone have suggestions now? Like Office is there a W7 download that will work with my key?This issue just gets worse and worse....

Ray,

this sounds like an entirely different problem, hence I suggest that you ask a new question. You can of course refer to this question.

2. Ray Nelson

Well I have tried it, after restoring from backup, went through each step after uninstalling AVG again, and booting into Safe Mode...

But it fails in same way.... (ie, no information to help)

Do you think Geek Squad can help?  HA HA They are coming to take me away haha to the funny farm....

Geek Squad is a good solution if you're at your (and our) wit's end. :)

3. Ray Nelson

So funny, I decided to try after taking off AVG Free, then tried by running directly from Safe Mode then found your response...

read the pentenetive article didn't find much new except 2 patches at bottom of article...  

Obviously something going on here.   This was originally Vista preinstalled on this Dell Laptop which I updated to Windows 7.   Going to try to see if there is a Windows Fix on the Windows update Disk (I purchased)....  

I love MicroSoft products, but see no reason why knowing what happened should be so difficult.   MS, you listening?

4. Ray Nelson

Windows Service Pack 1 will not install.   Getting tired of this again...   Did find a log of IIE9_main.txt of which the most incisive part is as follows:

01:17.127: INFO:    Launched package installation: C:Windowssystem32dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:C:WindowsTEMPIE9A279.tmpIE9-neutral.DownloadedWindows6.1-KB982861-x86.cab /quiet /norestart02:29.121: INFO:    Process exit code 0x00003712 (14098) [The component store has been corrupted. ]02:29.184: ERROR:   Neutral MSU installation failed (exit code = 0x00003712 (14098)).

My comments:  There is no IE9A279.tmp directory...

I actually started trying to get this done back  when IE9 first came out and on my 64bit machine, I really liked it.

By the way, I tried the released sp1, not the Beta..

I am going to try to get SP1 to install...

If you have problems with windows update
      1)Try to download SP1 from the internet and click onEXE to install
      2)Fix windows updtae, go to control panel Under System and Security there is Find  and Fix problems, so click on it then a new windows will come scroll down and choose Fix problems with windows updates

thanks for the input

You may install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 beta for your system (32 bit)and check if that makes any difference

download and run the appropriate Microsoft SUR tool
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Performed a clean boot using msconfig, use step 1 and 2 in the article below and restart the pc and install IE9, if IE installs, reboot again, then use msconfig again to revert the changes you made earlier, restart one last time.

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Step 2: Configure Selective Startup options

In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.

Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

Click the Services tab.

Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.

Click Disable All, and then click OK.

When you are prompted, click Restart.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us

have you tried to install IE9 with windows update
    Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

To reinstall Internet Explorer follow the below steps:

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel, clickPrograms, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. To turn a Windows feature on, select the check box next to the feature. To turn a Windows feature off, clear the check box. ClickOK.

then try to install IE9

Nobody should be installing Win7 SP1 BETA since the real deal was released back on March 15th.