How do I install Internet Explorer?

Jina Jinjin October 31, 2012

I need to install Internet Explorer as I deleted the entire install, it seems. When I try to install it an error message says I cannot because a newer version is already on my computer. There is nothing on my computer now except two files that wont do anything. I put them in the recycle bin, should i delete them? What can i do? Thanks!

1. julien croy

Try deleting any old data that has to do with Internet Explorer, appdata...program data...etc. Once that happens try reinstalling, sometimes your version of windows wont "like" the newest version of internet explorer, which in that case you might want to pick a different browser such as chrome or firefox.

2. Chaos Emperor

what is the two file name?

3. Adam Campbell

Download from microsoft. Make sure that you are indeed on a microsoft website

4. Raghav Gupta

First delete them. And download the latest version. Also first update your windows because internet explorer needs latest drivers to run otherwise your installation will take long timeee.

5. Patrick Jackson

Why not wait for IE 10? It will be coming soon and supports Windows 7!

• Jim Chambers

IE 10 is here in Windows 8 and it doesn't support windows7

• Patrick Jackson

I'm sorry for incorrect information!

See, this is the advantage of being in MUO Answers, you always can get corrected if wrong! :)

Well, now it is. Windows 7 supports ie10 beta now.

6. dhanunjayarao chunduri

download and install the I.E 9 latest version from

7. Naveen Kumar

please tell me how do you uninstall this completely. I tried never possibly could achieve it

8. Aashish Ghimire

Try adding features from Windows DVD

9. josemon maliakal

bruce is correct

10. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Check Program Files. Maybe the two leftover items are dead shortcuts. In Program Files you can find the newer executable and create shortcut for it.
    If it's really gone from your computer and you need to download it, visit
    Personally I won't miss it so much.

11. Charles Yost

IE is still on your computer if it is saying a newer version is already installed. I have run into this problem a few times myself when I thought that I had uninstalled a program. It should be an easy fix. Do the search for the program as suggested below or look in your All Programs folder from your Start Menu. It is probably still there.

12. Vishal Mishra

1. Go to control panel and then un-install the current version.
    2. Download latest Internet Explorer from microsoft's website ( if you have any other browser) OR take a copy from your friend.
    3. Install it in you computer.
    4. Enjoy.

13. Norbert Gruszfeld

first of all: why would U wanna do that ? ;)
    U cannot uninstal IE U can delete the shortcut but cannot uninstall it from your win based PC go to:
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe to open it
    and copy this exe or make a shortcut anywete U want

could you use windows update to detect IE and install a new one.

microsoft System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7
    then try to install IE

Performed a clean boot using msconfig, restart the pc and install IE9, if IE installs, reboot again, then use msconfig again to revert the changes you made earlier.

IE is a feature in windows 7
    1) Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
    2) To turn a Windows feature on, select the check box next to the feature. To turn a Windows feature off, clear the check box. Click OK.

From the options, place a check mark on Internet Explorer 8 and click OK, and follow the instructions.

Troubleshoot problems when you cannot install Internet Explorer 9

15. Muo TechGuy

Given that Internet Explorer is a core part o the OS and physically cannot be uninstalled, I very much doubt you actually deleted it.

Probably, you just deleted the desktop icon. Click start, type "iexplore" into the search bit, and it will magically appear. Drag that to the desktop again to make a new icon.

• Douglas Mutay

I totally agree with you.

• Yiz Borol

yes this this has been my experience, it would be similar to attempting to uninstall windows explorer, not quite possible.

• Rayon Blend

i totally agree/ if it a window laptop - don't delete ie , and you want other search you need ie to open other search

16. Nikhil Chandak

is your Internet Explorer is having virus ..???
    download the full version of Internet Explorer setup , here is the download link;6
    or download it from
    then try to install it ...

17. Abderrahmane Zerifi

the best way is to go in
    This article describes how to reinstall or repair Windows Internet Explorer in Windows 7, in Windows Vista, and in Windows XP. You may have to do this if you have problems because of damaged files or missing registration information when you use Internet Explorer.

18. Aniket Singh

To install Internet Explorer

Go to the Download Internet Explorer 9 webpage.

Select the language you want to install and your version of Windows, and then click Download.

In the File Download dialog box, click Run, and then, in the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

Click one of the following:

Restart now (recommended) (to finish the installation process now).

Restart later

• Ahmed Khalil

thanks for the tips hope it work with me too

Download from Microsoft download center and install IE 9 on Windows 7. Then use Windows update to install security patches.

20. Adrian Rea
    • Muo TechGuy

Adrian, please do not cut and paste content you find from other websites; it will result in a DMCA takedown notice that I have to deal with.

What 2 files? Are they merely the shortcuts to IE? And if the computer says that IE is already installed on the machine, it is generally correct in what it is telling you. To verify this, go to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer' for the 64-bit version of Windows or 'C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer' for the 32-bit version and look for the iexplore.exe file. That is Internet Explorer right there. Double-clicking on the file should open Internet Explorer for you.