Where do I get the install disc from my current hard drive running Lion?

Shay November 1, 2011

I have a brand new SSD and I want to put it in my MAC. I don’t know how I can get LION on the brand new drive since Lion didn’t come with an install CD. Probably an easy solution, I just don’t know how. I have the tools to hook it up externally to machine need directions. Thanks!

If you downloaded Lion via the Mac App Store you can follow this guide to create an Installation CD or drive.

If Lion came pre-installed on your Mac there currently is no way to create an Installation media - but you have three options (the second one probably being the most convenient in your case).

1. cloning your existing drive to the SSD e.g. using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper
    In most cases (except maybe for a Linux "dd") you will lose the Recovery HD.

2. you install the SSD into your Mac and connect the old Hard Disk externally, then during boot-up you keep the option (alt) key pressed and select to boot the Recovery HD from the external disk

3. you install the SSD and start an Internet Recovery [by simply turning on your Mac
    This is built into every new MacBook Air, Mac mini as well as 2011 MacBook Pro models running the latest firmware (ethernet or WPA/WPA2 WiFi required).

Theoretically there is a fourth option using the Lion Recovery Assistant but since you have the tools to hook up your existing drive externally you don't have to create another Recovery HD.

maybe you need some cloning tool. Clone and transfert