How can I install the ATI X1400 graphics drivers in Windows 8?

LOVE8 September 5, 2011

No matter what I try, I cannot seem to be able to install the ATI graphics drivers in Windows 8 build 7989. The only reason that I want to is because I need the resolution higher. Is there any way for me to do this?

1. Captbiptoe

Go to Dell's site. Get to the drivers for the Inspiron 6400. Get the Vista driver and install it. Works fine for me. Make sure you're on the Consumer Preview (build 8250) for W8.

2. Attackpoodle

I have been trying everything myself, from modifying vista drivers to using msn's backlog of unapproved drivers. There seems to be no way currently to get this gpu to play friendly with win 8, which is typical of ati and its driver support

3. Mads2001

i got a gefoce gtx 560 gti and i just download the win 7 32/64 bit and it works fine

4. JEREMY COX

not sure how helpful this is going to be. i have an ati x1950 crossfire card and discovered that win8 dev (8102) wouldn't recognize that card either. i think there is a problem with the catalyst install software (even run in legacy mode). i was able to install the diver because i have windows 7 and vista also set up on this computer using multi-boot options. i simply found the driver instillation in windows 7 (most likely the 32 bit or 64 bit version must also match the developer installation), but once i found the directory the drivers were in, windows 8 immediately found the drivers and installed them with absolutely no problems whatsoever. remember 8 dev is derived from vista and windows 7 code base, so most of those old drivers (my soundblaster driver is also from vista) should work well for the most part.

• Cicero

Just fixed this for my x1300. Download the legacy drivers from AMD then install it. It will install complete but not look like it actually did anything. Then I went to device manager and updated the driver. Browse for C://ATI folder and let windows find and install the drivers. :D  

• Georgewa

I was able to install x1300 drivers for a T60, downloaded the vista drivers from lenovo, then pointed to the unzipped folder and let windows find the drivers, as cicero did.  All good now, go to the manufacturers drivers download etc..!!!

5. Arshdip55

same here guys what to do ?

I am on the same boat. ATI X1600 here.
    I have tried many things (win7 drivers,etc..) but nothing! i guess we just have to be patient

7. Loirubuonhp

i'm too . very sad

8. Bunna Tang

I am on the same boat, I have installed Windows 8 on my Dell Inspiron 6400 with ATI X1400. I can't get any driver for my graphics card to support. the display works very slow like 5 frames per seconds

9. Bunna Tang

• Knash2

I installed drivers for ATI x1300.

I went to AMD site Had to say Windows 7

x1300

and it guided me to the legacy drivers,

looks like one size fits all,there

wont load the Catalyst for desktop,but in system manager

the drivers show loaded

10. Jlaw90

The operating system is now freely available as a free pre-beta software for software developers and I am also encountering the same problem, the downloaded drivers from Microsoft's update catalog do not install, and windows update does not detect it, as well as ATIs drivers not recognising the operating system... Anyone have any ides what to try next?

Windows 8 is only legally obtainable through a Microsoft development or testing contract. I assume you want us to provide you with support on an illegal product. From microsoft:

"Unauthorized use or disclosure in any manner may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment (in the case of employees), termination of an assignment or contract (in the case of contingent staff), and potential civil and criminal liability."

In the case that you are an employee of Microsoft, I would imagine asking the support or development team (or filing a bug report) would be far more effective than trying to get support from a community who isn't even legally allowed to obtain the operating system.