How do I install an Android app without an Internet connection or file manager?

Gavriel.techmaster July 16, 2014

Okay, I’ve been searching an answer about this for hours and I still haven’t found a proper answer.

I have a program I need to install on an Android phone. It is a Sony Ericsson Xperia MK16a. I have indeed the phone rooted, but I’m trying to download a certain application from the Google Play store, but it fails every time I try download. It is connected to a WiFi network, which works fine on other devices, and I don’t have satellite Internet on this phone.

I tried installing from the Google Play website, still doesn’t work. Tried from a third-party website, doesn’t work. I tried inserting an SD card to see if it works, and it doesn’t. I tried to install the app from my PC (via USB and SD card), but since it appears that I need a file manager (which I don’t have installed and can’t download anything) but I can’t install it either.

How do I install an app without an Internet connection or a file manager?

Use Android Injector software in your PC and then you'll be able to install any apk in your phone.

2. Suleman Mulla

Use MoboRobo. It'll be helpful.

is the problem recent or just after rooting, perhaps the application do not support Android 2.3.4

4. Dani B

Have you tried your program on other devices?! Does it show that the program compatible with your device?!

Hello, I believe this shouldn't take very long to fix. Although it sounds as if the APK in question just isn't compatible with your phone. Does installation fail every time? Or are you having trouble with launching the app?

If you're rooted, I also assume you have some experience with the Android Debug Bridge (or ADB for short). ADB will allow you to install apps through the command line. But essentially what ADB does is copy the APK file from you hard drive to either the /system/app directory or the /data/app directory. Unlike Windows operating systems, apps are installed when their APK file is copied to either one of those directories. Here's some ADB commands that involve copying to one of those directories:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1497880

I suggest just downloading the file manager and copying the file manager and then using it to install the remainder of your apps.

Regarding the Play Store, I suggest wiping its cache or perhaps other data. Just go to System -> Apps -> Google Play Store. From there, just wipe the cache and app data. You will then be reprompted to log in. Hopefully that will fix the issue and you won't need ADB. Good luck!