Dan

Can I install 32- bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise and Ubuntu 11.04 on different partitions on the same computer?

21 Apr 2011
21 Apr 2011 | |

I have an HP Probook 4321s currently running Windows 7 Professional (32 bit). It has 4 GB RAM and runs a 1 GB ATI graphics card.

The current Windows 7 Pro resides on the 50 GB C drive. There is another D drive which has 550 GB of hard disk space. I would like to re-format the 550 GB partition into three partitions (about 50 GB, 50 GB, and 450 GB) so that I can install more operating systems myself.

I would like to install a 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise on one partition, a 64-bit Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal (when released next week) on the other drive, and leave the 450 GB for storage of all other stuff to store as and when necessary.

Please help me with these questions:

1. Is it possible to install two instances of the same version of Windows, but still of different flavor, e.g. Professional and Enterprise on the same hard disk but on different partitions? If possible can one of them be 32-bit and the other 64-bit without any clash or incompatibility issues running the computer?

2. If I install Ubuntu on the other partition, can I install 64-bit Ubuntu and run smoothly, while another partition runs the 32-bit Windows 7 Pro, and hopefully, another partition runs 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise?
Or would you advise installing all three with 32-bit? I would like to try 64-bit operating systems since my specifications are enough.

Thanks in advance for your opinion!