How can I insert social media sharing buttons in blog feeds just like MakeUseOf does?

yogi2011 March 5, 2011

I follow MakeUseOf.com through Google Reader. What I like about MakeUseOf’s feed are the nice sharing buttons (Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Buzz, StumbleUpon) at the bottom of the post.

Although Google Reader has its own sharing button, I think these are much better. How can I add them to my blog feed?

1. Yogi

Thanks. I'll check it out for our wordpress blog. I also have a blog in blogger (blogspot). Anyway I can do the same there?

The ShareThis buttons will work on Blogger. The RSSFOtter plugin on the other hand won't as it's for WordPress users only.

Hi Yogi. At MakeUseOf, we use a WordPress plugin called RSSFooter. It allows you to add any code you like to the bottom of posts in the RSS feeds, so we add the social button sharing code. You can get the code for regular social buttons anywhere, but we hard code using graphic buttons stored on the server.

You could also use the code from sharethis widget though: http://sharethis.com/ - just paste the code you get into the RSSfooter plugin~

Hope that helps!

just make sure to use HTML in the code, it won't accept PHP or Javascript

3. Jonathan Mould

I'm not sure about the others but for facebook I have a "page" and i get the code for sharing under the page editing options