Do I have to insert a CD to play SimCity 4 on my computer?

Mick February 24, 2011

I installed SimCity 4 onto my computer. When I click on SimCity it asks to insert the correct CD. Do I have to have the CD inserted in order to play the game?

1. Adam

I don't know if my other comment posted properly so I'll work on a better safe than sorry scheme and post it again. You need to have DISC 2 inserted. This is the one with the YELLOW label NOT the RED one.

Hey Mick,

Did you figure it out? Let us know if you found any of the above suggestions helpful.

Aibek

3. jello

http://www.slysoft.com sells a pgm called game jackal that allows you to play any game without the cd in the drive. They have a demo that you can try first. I prefer to buy games from http://store.steampowered.com/, They always have great sells, no need for a cd in the drive, and you can make a cd copy if you desire from the internet/steam download.

4. Xps

I've used no-cd patches from GameCopyWorld.com and have had good success. Occasionally I'll find a patch that disables something like the sound or the multiplayer part, but most of them work with the full game. Three of my favorites include The Sims 2, Age of Mythology, and Diablo 2; all with expansions. Make sure you grab the correct patch and rename the original executable instead of deleting it.

Malware is certainly something to consider, like Josh mentioned, but I've never had any such problems from GameCopyWorld.com

Hello I do not have SIMCity, but I used to play and install games before. When you installed the game, did you pick full installation? Most games have different setup options. From experience, I can tell you that if you do full install, most times you do not need the insert the cd/dvd on your drive. The only downside is that the game installation will use more space on your drive. Then again, like I said I have not install that game.

• Josh Fox

Many newer games require the detection of a security layer from the disk during startup. They started doing this as an anti-piracy measure. They put the security sectors on parts of the disk that can't be copied to ISO format. MDF images can handle them though.

It's also possible to create a mini-image consisting of just the security sectors that can be mounted with Alcohol 52%, but I haven't looked into how to do that.

There are NO-CD cracks that make it possible to run games without the disk or an image, but it can sometimes be difficult to find ones that don't create bugs in the games. Some will even render entire parts of the games unusable. I also just don't trust these because it would be too easy for someone to put a virus in these cracks.

6. lovey

You do have to insert a disk bc it wont work if you dont unless if you go nyomy sims four.com and click download now and then go to appliations on your computer then click make short cut and now it will always be on when you firt log on your computer trust me it works.

7. Josh Fox

Actually, an ISO won't work because they don't copy the security layer. You would have to use an MDF file or some other format that copies the security layer as well. Alcohol 52% is what I use (for the very same game even). You can use the program to create the image from the disk and then mount it to a virtual drive. You only need the first disk. You can get the program for free from here: http://www.free-downloads.net/programs/Alcohol_52__Free_Edition

• Immapig3

nope not really

Mick,

I am not sure whether you have to have a physical CD entered when attempting to play SimCity. However, if you do, I might have an alternative solution for you.

I assume that you do have the CD and just want to avoid the constant noise from the CD drive. An alternative to running the physical CD in your CD drive, is to create an ISO image from your CD/s and mount it/them on a virtual drive.

I wrote an article a while back that explains how to do that: How to Backup CD/DVDs to PC and Play them From Backup