How can I initialize the internal audio speaker and built-in webcam on my HP Mini netbook?

Dean Sutherland January 31, 2011

How do I initialize the internal audio speaker and built-in video camera on my new HP Mini netbook? They aren’t working and I’m not familiar with Windows7.

1. Deanosth

Thanks Tina. I emailed this web link to Sonia (it's her HP Mini Notebook with the issue) and suggested that she use MakeUseOf to solve PC problems.

Dean,

I happen to have a HP Mini netbook running Windows 7 myself.

How did you test whether or not your webcam / speaker / microphone work?

I'm guessing that you used Skype and even if it wasn't you can use it to test your hardware. Go to > Tools > Options.

Click the > Audio settings tab in the bar on the left. Do you see a hardware option for microphone and speaker?

When you switch to the > Video settings tab, does your webcam image load automatically?

You may have to install the drivers for your hardware. You should find them on your netbook in a folder called > SwSetup. Go to > Start > Computer and search for the folder via the top right search bar.

In > SwSetup you'll find a sub-folder called > Drivers. You're looking for the > Audio and > Video drivers. Go to the respective folders and launch the setup.exe, i.e. the installation process.

If you cannot find a SwSetup folder, you can download the drivers from the HP website. Click on > Support & Drivers and follow the instructions. You will be asked to enter the exact name of your netbook.