Why does InfraRecorder need free hard drive space?

Osama June 29, 2010

Whenever I write DVDs with InfraRecorder, a small tray notification says that you are running out of space on C:/. I guess the program wants me to have at least 4.5 GB of free space on C:/ for some kind of temporary storage. Is that so? Do I always have to have 4.5 GB free on C:/ for writing DVDs with InfraRecorder ?

Try cleaning out your temporary internet files or deleting installation files that you no longer need. The application needs the free space to create the dvd files and cache it as it is being written they will be deleted when the disk is finished being created.

2. Steve Campbell

I've seen this with other programs as well. I believe when you're burning a DVD the program needs to have around 4Gb of free space for temporary DVD image files. A lot of times these files are deleted right after the copying is finished.

Try running CCleaner to clear space on your hard drive. It will delete all of your temp files and compress all old files as well. That should take care of it.

Jack and Fruitgeek are right. To write CDs and DVDs, a temporary cache is created where the data "imaged" (organised as it would be on the disc), and ensuring that there is a constant flow of data to the disc to prevent "coasters". If you don't have 4.5 GB free on your disc, you may be in trouble anyway, since your hard disc is likely to be heavily fragmented and may slow the system down. See if you can free up space, perhaps by using CCleaner.

While you are burning something, just keep checking C: drive to see if your space goes down. Then when you stop it, see if your space returns.

But I would think that it is making a temporary file. You have the file that you want to burn and then InfraRecorder will make a file to put on the disk.

So no you don't always have to have 4.5Gb free, you can have more, or should have more so it works better and prevents it from crashing.

5. fruitgeek.wordpress.com

I am not sure, but it might need to make a cache copy of the file somewhere before you burn the image, and a regular DVD is 4.7gb, so the 4.5 you mention sounds close. If you don't burn images this big, you probably don't need that much space- you could always check their website too...