What’s the best inexpensive way to connect web content to TV?

cboyer May 28, 2010

I would like to be able to watch on my TV Netflix, personal videos and videos found at various sites on the web. I don’t already have any of the boxes that could do this. I do have a Windows machine, a router and an HDTV. What is the least expensive way to connect the content I want to watch to my TV?

With your ingredients, all you need left is a "VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable for PC Video" available from Amazon for 4.95 bucks (http://www.amazon.com/VGA-Adapter-S-Video-Cable-Video/dp/B000Y7T5UU/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_c). Or you can buy similar cable from your friendly neighborhood electronic store.

Even if your Windows machine and TV has different ports, you can find virtually any compatible cables nowadays.

I would strongly suggest using HDMI cable to get the max. quality or you may end up with a really poor picture on your TV. While lower quality videos may look fine on the laptop screen this definitely wouldn't be the case on High Def TV.

• Jack Cola

And if your laptop doesn't have an HDMI output, a VGA cable would do just fine. I use that to connect my laptop to my TV. The desktop screen and viewing website's are not that great, but the odd movie off the internet works perfectly.

If you are wanting to watch things from the internet on your TV, why don't you by a basic computer or laptop and connect it to your TV through a VGA or HDMI cable? Basically you turn your TV into your monitor and you can watch YouTube, and other internet related material.

I second Jack, you just need an HDMI cable and that's it.

3. Steve Campbell

I would suggest purchasing a TV tuner card for your computer. Either that or a video card capable of outputting a coaxial or RCA connection to your TV. This would allow you to play videos on your PC and use your HDTV as the monitor.

Steve,

The TV Tunes card would be necessary to get/access TV Channels using internet connection. However, cboyer merely wants to access web content (i.e. Youtube, Hulu videos) online and stream them to the HDTV.

Aibek