How can I increase the volume of the audio in a video file?
Question by Clifton /

I need to turn up the audio on a video that is to low. Can I re-record it to a new file and if so what program do I need?

in addtion to format fact,or yMovie maker and Total video converter also provides the same functionality,
    This has more steps.
    1.Disable the audio and create a mute video.
    2.convert the video to mp3.
    3.drop the mp3 to movies maker. (if the video is supported by movie maker, you can directly drag the video to it to the audio time line, with out converting to mp3))
    4.right click and set the volume (ctrl+u)
    preview it.
    when satsfied, create the wma audio, by saving movie (ctrl+p)
    5. add it the mute video
    either use movie maker to add video and audio to the timelines and save movie.
    or the  mux option of format factory..

second image is for the first option.

Hello, to begin with, what kind of formatting is used in the video file?  If it is .avi, you can use virtualdub.  The following links will show you how to do it:

What kind of player are you using to play the video?  There are a few players that let you set the normalize filter on a file without changing the file.  There are different settings for normalizing audio, just play with it until you reach the sound you want.

You have to demux the audio, convert to wav, increase volume reencode to whatever format you want it in, then multiplex it back with the video.

1-Open file in virtualdub
    2-Click on Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    3-Click Audio -> Full Processing Mode
    4-Click Audio -> Volume, then check “Adjust Volume of Audio Channels” and set the slider to for example 303%.
    5-Click File -> Save as AVI, enter a new filename and Ok.

Drag and drop the video file in format factory.
    free software:
    select a format to convert
    select settings
    under auido stream:
    volume : seelct any postive value
    select ok
    click on start converting
    click on view output file or open output folder.

• Clifton

Hello Jay, 

I wanted to say thanks for the info, I got the program. I have a lot of video files, some loud or to loud, some are to low. I’m trying to make a video with these clips.
      I need to be able to normalize the volume of all of them. Example: I complete the video of ten clips and play it and  I have to turn up or turn it down when the clip stops and the next one starts. I need for them all to be the same volume,10db for all of them. Can you PLEASE help. I will pay for it.
      But just the same thanks for the program it does allow me to turn up or down a clip, just not sure of the true db level. 

There are several ways to do it. the comment will be too lengthy with all the details of each option, so tell me which option you are comfortable with :

option 1 :
      extract audio from videos
      normalize the manuall or mith mp3gain software.

add audio to videos and now create a video from 10 videos.

option 2 :

create a video from 10 videos.
      and then try to normalize manually.
      i am testing if a single file can be normalize or not.
      else movie makler will do it with some efforts from you.

Fromat facory will help in cutting and pasting audios to /from videos.

Tell me which option do you want, even i am testing to check which opiton will be the best.

(A).Do you just want to merge entire 10 video files with a same volume ?
      (B).to merge the clips from 10 videos .
      if (B) then keep your 10 clips ready using format factory options. so that the process will be quicker.

1.a) merge 10 videos by video joiner option.
      1.b) drag n drop the merged video and mute it by setting disable audio to yes.

2a) convert 10 videos to mp3 in batch.
      2b).drag n drop 10 mp3 files to mp3 gain >>set normal DB>>Analise track gain >>apply target gain
      2c) merge 10 mp3 files

3. join the normalized mp3 to muted merged video by mux option.

4. watch the output video or tell me if you are not getting these steps.

• Clifton

Hi Jay,

I will be making a video from ten or more video clips. I need for all of the clips to be at the same volume. I like the nomalize idea. what is happening is when I put  a clip into the program and set the volume level to lets say 9 db the program will increase the volume by 9 db’s, this is ok for a clip that is low volume but for a clip that has good volume now it will be to loud. I need something that will set the volume for all the clips to be at 9db’s. Thanks 

hello, did you read the steps or not !? I know what you want to do, and I have already written the steps above, just start.
      you have to extract audio from all the video file, and normalize audio using mp3gain
      then you will have to add the merged normalized sound to the merged video.
      just read the above comment.
      mp3gain will make the volume similar.
      follow the steps 1 to 4.
      tell me what happened.