How can I increase video quality in VLC player?
Question by thuci /

I used Cyberlink PowerDVD for playing videos. In power DVD video quality is fine, but it has problems with playing subtitles. I used VLC player. Subtitles worked fine in VLC, but video quality is not better than PowerDVD. Is there is any way to increase video quality in VLC?

You can get a small improvement by selecting OpenGL as the output module for video.
    1. go into the VLC Settings
    2. select Video
    3. click on the dropdown list next to Output and select OpenGL

For everything else you are probably better off looking into one of the many other free players or by getting a decent decoder/codec as previously suggested.

My personal experience is that PowerDVDs quality is superior to pretty much all of them, especially when using NVIDIA PureVideo.

Fix for VLC Skipping and Lagging Playing High-Def Video Files

Tools -> Preferences -> Video
    uncheck Use hardware YUV->RGB conversions

The CoreAVC decoder iwill probably make a real difference on any semi-underpowered hardware. Problem is it costs, but its worth the investment and there are free updates.

The graphics card should support hardware decoding too, The graphics card should have hardware acceleration of h.264