How can increase the size of the clipboard?

Chuck McClurg October 17, 2011

When I try and copy to the clipboard, I receive an error message that says  “Item to large for Clipboard.” How do I enlarge the size of the clipboard? I am trying to copy from a Acrobat PDF.

1. Matt C

You don't say what you're trying to take the image into, but the clipboard can handle a massive amount of data. For the clipboard to genuinely be too small, you would have to be trying to copy something absolutely huge - even working with professional graphics I would be surprised if you had a PDF with a data object more than 2Gb. It's more likely that there's a fault in the object you're trying to copy, and the "Item to large for clipboard" is an erroneous message.

If you're trying to transfer an image from a PDF into something else, try importing the PDF directly rather than copy-pastnig the data. This generally works better anyway!

2. Matt C

Most likely it is a particular sequence of characters being interpreted as EOF (end of file),

An application places data into the clipboard by calling the Win32 SetClipboardData()
    function. This allocates memory for the data by calling GlobalAlloc(). If the call to GlobalAlloc() fails with a "not enough available memory", you'll get an error message. So the room for clipboard data is the current virtual memory available to the application. For a 32-bit process, this will be 2GB if you have 2GB of memory

try another clipboard utility
    Global Clipboard
    http://www.techishare.com/softwares/giveaway-of-powerful-global-clipboard-manager/
    scroll down the article and you have the registration code

Hello, is windows managing your pagefile or you have a custom setting for it?  You could try the following free software:

http://clipcube.wikispaces.com/

I know you are asking about increasing the clipboard size, unless you have more ram installed, it might be hard to do.  Here is another third party option:

http://www.xneat.com/clipboard-manager/

Hi Chuck,

Window's clipboard size is 1/16th of your memory, which is fixed. The only way Windows will automatically increase the size of your clipboard is if you add more memory. You can try using a clipboard alternative or try copying the items individually.

Edit: I found this eHow article explaining how to increase the size of your clipboard. Tell me if it works!

• Gutterman345

the eHow article seems to accomplish increasing the clipboard memory by manualy controling the paging file size for each drive