How can I increase memory on a laptop?

Myke46 June 9, 2010

I have a Compaq Pressario CQ50-103NR,Vista Basic, AMD Athlon X2.

What are my best options for increasing memory? It only came with 1GB from factory and I would like to add as much memory as possible. My D drive is 90% full and my C drive has 65% unused space.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

1. Myke46

I have a follow-up question:I want to go the max with 4GB,there is room for 2 sticks.This means I need to remove the existing one and replace it with two-2GB sticks.My question is:What do I need to do in order to safely remove the existing stick from my laptop?

Hi Michael,

that's a very good question. I would recommend to re-post it as a new question. It increases your chances or receiving a better answer. Apart from that, the information might be of general interest. Thank you.

2. spacebitch

External hard drives are quite cheap now. In the UK I can pick up a 1TB external hard drive for around £75. Now I dont store anything on the D drive at all and the only stuff on the C drive is what I need to keep my pc working the way I want.

Myke46,You said, "My D drive is 90% full and my C drive has 65% unused space...." I am confused, do you want to add more RAM (that is in addition to your 1 GB RAM memory) OR more storage space (in addition to your C and D drives) ?

If it's more RAM then follow the suggestions above, but if you need more storage space then you need to buy external harddrive.

• Myke46

Just in case this helps anyone else:I found that Best Buy(on-line)beat MemoryStock by $20.00 on a 2GB stick.And no,I have no unnatural ties to Best Buy.Once again to all who helped.MakeUseOf has THE BEST on-line community of it's type.

4. el tio ska

It depends on how many memory slots your laptop has and what its maximum capacity is.You can either fit in another 1Gb RAM chip (it says here] that it can take up to 3GB DDR2.So you should be able to fit in a 2GB DDR2 RAM chip I guess. (according to a site I found --at random- called pcmemorystore.com a 2GB DDR2 costs $63 and a 1Gb one $35 but the final cost depends on where you are and any shipping and taxes applicable.)Apart from that you could always increase the virtual memory but that is usually already set and is much slower than actual RAM.[This is the product page on hp.com]

• kyun

cheer for this one

• H Michael Piza

Thank you and any other replies.Ram is what I need and your response did the trick for me. Myke46

• el tio ska

glad it helped :o)

peace & 'armony