How can I increase my laptop’s battery life?
Question by vignesh /

Is using the laptop when charger is connected good for the battery life!

• doorbell intercom system

“It is good that take out the battery from the laptop if the laptop is direct powered to the power supply. ” That’s right!

• Reva Yunus

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 on my e-machine/acer laptop. I am new to it and am just beginning to understand the software. I generally need to work only with audio files and word files. So I really do not need most of the trimmings that come with any OS on a laptop…I am really not very clear on how things and would like to learn as much as I can. Can someone give examples of what kind of programs I can uninstall to relieve my CPU some?
    And many thanks to everyone who’s posted useful clarifications and explanations on this page.

Revs.

• calgary web designer

When you use your device (laptop or phone) try to go till 10% of battery capacity and then charge it! Charge it all to 100%. If you can and it’s better, avoid stopping the charge cycle until it is at 100%. Once in a while, maybe once a month go close to 0%, make the battery drain almost all, and charge it to 100%. It work for me and comparing to my friends my batteries last longer.

• Smayonak

One of the best things you can do for battery life is undervolt – which is not to be confused with CPU Throttling/underclocking. Basically, UV does not reduce the speed of your system – but does dramatically reduce inefficiencies in the way your system consumes power, improving battery life and reducing heat production.

Google “Undervolting Guide” and you’ll find tools like RMClock and/or the better supported ThrottleStop. On the downside, if you have an AMD system or a newer i#-Core system, you are out of luck.

• Ryan

Here is a nice and short/simple article from LifeHacker that explains some simple tips on how to get the most out of your battery.

http://lifehacker.com/5566020/how-to-maximize-the-battery-life-of-your-windows-laptop

• Steve Campbell

There are settings you can tweak to maximize your battery life. Screen brightness is a big helper, as well as cutting down on the CPU usage. You should disable or uninstall any programs you are not using so they are not hogging up any of your memory, forcing your CPU to work harder.

• Swapan Pradhan

Well i guess, the main point of this topic would be how to increase or maybe make the battery last longer. Normally a laptop is setup with essential programs and not like our desktop so disable/uninstall is not making any sense to me. i don’t mind cutting down the CPU usage too.

• toot

It is good that take out the battery from the laptop if the laptop is direct powered to the power supply.

I heard about this from a few people but never really found any article published about that. The idea of taking out the battery when notebook connected to power supply doesn’t make any sense to me.

• toot

The battery will keep on charging and discharging while it is being powered using the AC power supply. This result excessive charging and discharging cycle would shorten the battery lifespan than ever expected. Hence, it is good to remove the battery from the laptop when connected to the power supply.

Thanks for the input. But what makes you think that battery is used at
      all when the laptop is connected to AC power supply.

Aibek

On older laptops what toot says is true. Apparently, the battery would be charged and re-charged constantly. With nickel cadmium based batteries this could also create a memory effect.

On newer laptops the problem is different. While connecting AC power may circumvent the battery, the laptop still produces heat and modern Lithium ion based batteries are susceptible to heat.

In other words, take out the battery to avoid damage from heat.

Tina, thanks for explaining this.

• Osama

No, The good practice is that charge your laptop’s battery first and don’t charge it again until it is 85%-90% drained. Don’t keep plugging charger ever. Also use as little brightness as possible, this will ensure least use of power. Don not use heavy graphic rendering and high CPU using software when you are away from charger for a long time.