How can I increase the disk space for a partition?

Sahil March 20, 2010

Can anyone tell me to how to increase the size of local disk C as I am short of space in local disk C where as I have free unallocated 100Gb space.
In short, I want to increase the size of local disk c without losing any installed program or without causing any problem to current installed windows xp.
Can I do it manually? If yes how? Can you give me the steps?
If not, which software should I use?
Generally, I don’t want to install a third party software, so manual step by step method is recommended.

1. Yuris1

You can free more disk space on your Hard Disk drive with FreeSpacer 1.67 program. This program delete all unnecessary files,especially old files on your computer.

2. Fishgld46

The MiniTool Partition Wizard is one professional and easy-to-use,multifunctions partition software;www.partitionwizard.com

3. 413736603

you can according to the two ways to increase the disk space for a partition,one is resize the partition, another is to extend the partition system.here I give an example to show the step of extending the partition system:

Step 1: Create 7GB free space
    Shrink drive D to get 7 GB free space between drive C and drive D. Please select drive D from Partition Wizard, and click Move/Resize button from the toolbar. You will see the popup window like the following screenshot. And then drag the left border of the partition to the right to shrink this partition. And then click OK button.

Step 2: 7 GB unallocated space is created between drive C & drive D. And then please select drive C, and click "Move/Resize" button from the toolbar again.

Step 3. Position the mouse pointer to the right edge of the partition. Please drag mouse to the right to extend C partition when the mouse pointer changes to a double-headed arrow. And then click OK button.

And then you could see your drive C is extended

Step 4:Click Apply button.

sure,you need to download one free partition software which is magic server parttition software-partition wizard,firstly.

4. Sonny Bass

Parted Magic works well. At unetbootin you can download it to a USB drive and run it in live mode with no install

If you have Windows Vista, it is very easy to do. Just follow these instructions
    http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista

Basically, rightclick on My Computer, select Manage. On the left hand side, under storage, select Disk Management. From there, right click on the drives you want to shrink, then you can expand others (if you have unallocated space of course)

No need to format, but is is recommended that you BACKUP your files first, or at least the ones you can't afford to lose. Something like a brief power outage could lose everything.

6. ├Žnon1mus

You can try Paragon's Free Partition Manager Express. It uses a wizard to intelligently resize a partition.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

Remember to backup your data before initiating!

Another alternative partition manager tool to consider is EASEUS Partition Manager 3.0 Home Edition.

MakeUseOf review: Create & Resize Windows Partitions with Free PartitionManager

• Oron Joffe

Acronis also have a number of products that will do this.

7. Steve Campbell

Sahil,

As far as I know, there is no way to alter a drive's partition without first formatting it (which would erase everything). The best thing for you to do would be to back up everything and use your Windows disc to delete the partitions, assign new ones, and format the drive.

You can view your hard drive's partitions by going to Run and typing in diskmgmt.msc

Hi Steve,

I think you're wrong here. It's possible to extend the partition without formating the partition. Most of the partition manager apps has the extend function nowadays.

• Jack Cola

With my Vista computer, I shrinked the partition, and extended it and I don't think I needed to format it. But I did this when I first got it, so I can't remember 100%.

But I am pretty sure you don't need to format the disk to be able to shrink it.

I have an old program called PQ Magic Power Quest (or something like that) and it does the trick. I think its a Norton program now

• unanimous

The only way to do what you want to do is to use a 3rd-party partitioning
          tool like Partition Magic or BootIt NG. I prefer BootIt NG, and for your
          purposes there's no need to purchase the product. Get BootIt NG at
          http://bootitng.com/bootitng.html Download button is at bottom. After
          downloading, extract the contents to a new folder, then run bootitng.exe.
          This will create a bootable installation floppy disk (you'll need a good
          floppy disk for this, of course.) Then leave the floppy in and hen restart.
          When the installer finishes loading, you'll be prompted to install. DO NOT
          do so. Instead, Cancel the installation. This will drop you into Maintenance
          Mode. From there, choose Partition Work.

In partition Work, click on the C: partition. It won't be named C:, but
          you should have no trouble figuring out which it is, probably the top one,
          but your machine's manufacturer may have placed hidden partitions on your
          drive, so pay close attention, and if in doubt, figure it out *first*.

Once you've selected your C: partition, click on "Resize". Put in the new
          size in MegaBytes. You don't say what size the current C:, but to calculate
          the number of MB, multiply the number of GB you desire times 1024. (See
          below for further discussion of partition sizes.) Then proceed.

Once the C: partition has been shrunk, select the D: partition and then
          choose "Slide." Simply enter 0 for the value "Free space before..." (I
          forget the exact language, but it's obvious.) Once the Slide is finished,
          then Resize the same partition to fill the remaining space.

Now, a word about Partition Size. The ideal maximum size for the OS
          partition in Windows 98, 98SE and ME (which is always C:), is 8192 MB, or 8
          GB. The reason is that once you go over 8 GB, the FAT32 file system wants to
          enlarge the cluster size from 4 KB to 8, 16 or 32 KB. However, WIn98, 98SE
          and ME are built to make particularly efficient use of 4KB clusters. Memory
          is organized into 4KB "pages"--perhaps you can intuit why 4KB clusters are
          ideal in this case. If you want a more detailed lesson in clusters, pages,
          etc. see http://www.pcguide.com.

You don't say how large your current C: partition is, but if the deduction
          of 10GB still leaves a partition larger than 8GB, consider either adding the
          excess (above 8GB) to D:, or create a new partition to take care of it. I
          like having a partition that's dedicated to TEMP and Temporary Internet
          Files. Gets those volatile files (volatile in the sense that lots of files
          are getting written, deleted, rewritten, etc.) out of the OS partition where
          they have a tendency to cause problems. The size for such a partition should
          be at least 2GB, but I find 4GB to be even more efficient, since apps like
          WinZip can demand a lot of temporary disk space. (There are other good uses
          for this TEMP partition, but we'll leave that alone for now. I like to put
          this TEMP partition right after the C: partition, but if you have any
          Registry or other configuration files that reference D:, you will encounter
          errors if you change its letter to E:. It won't be as efficient in
          performance, but one solution is to put the TEMP partition at the end of the
          disk.