How can I increase the click area of desktop icons?

tim crowell January 25, 2011

I am using Windows 7 and want to increase the click area of my desktop icons.

Hey Tim,

Didi you manage to increase the clickable area of the icons using the tips recommended above. FIDELIS gave some handy suggestions, did you check them out?

Aibek

You can use the software on this link to achieve the same results....and it saves you from playing with the registry:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista

I just checked on my windows 7 system and the MouseThreshold1 and MouseThreshold2 are already there. The default values are 6 and 10 so if you want to increase them do the following:

-- highlight MouseThreshold1 >> click Modify >> in value data change to higher number than the default one (6). Do the same steps for MouseThreshold2 and increase value to higher number than the default one (10). Hope that helps.

In older versions of windows you could change the clickable space of the icons by doing the following:
    -Start
    -- In search box type regedit
    -- Highlight regedit >> right click >> run as administrator
    -- Look for this key in registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelMouse
    -- Look for these two keys: MouseThreshold1 and MouseThreshold2. If these two keys are not available you have to add them.
    -Once you found these keys or added them give MouseThreshold1 a value of say 4 and give mouseThreshold2 a higher value say 8. If you are satisfied with those numbers close regedit and restart computer. If you are not satisfied increase both values to higher numbers until satisfied.
    close Regedit and reboot.

note: I do not know if this would work for windows 7 though... I did this before with windows xp on request. Hope it helps.

Tim,

what do you mean with click area?
    Do you want to make your desktop icons bigger so it's easier to click them?