How can I incorporate or install missing drivers for my optical drive, so I can install Windows 7?

Myke46 November 25, 2010

I am in the process of doing a clean install of Windows7. My Presario CQ50 NR-103 HP laptop came with Vista Basic factory installed. However, while attempting to recover from a To-Do (Linux) backup,I now have no operating system.

When I attempt to run the Windows 7 install disc, I get a message telling me that I need missing drivers for my optical drive. I inserted the Vista repair disc and installed all the drivers it would allow me to from a backup (Double Driver) that I had in an external hard drive.

What is the best way to install any additional missing drivers if I have to get them from the internet? Maybe burn them on a disc or USB drive? How? HELP!

go to your device manager and look fot your driver right click on it and uninstal. Reboot then windows will add new drivers. Also if you have burning softwares and itunes or other virtul soft uninstal them first.

Are you multibooting your laptop such as windows and linux?

Best will be to boot on windows cd and choose repair function. or format and clean install the windows flavor of your choice.

• Myke46

No,not multibooting.I have access to Linux through bootable usb drives(compliments of Linux Pen Drives.Since I wrote the question,I made a bootable usb installer from the isos to see if the problem was the cd/dvd drive (it keeps telling me that I am missing a Driver for the cd/dvd drive)but even from the usb I keep getting the same message.