Why does my in-built webcam not work on Skype or by itself?

Trudy Nguyen April 29, 2012

My in-built webcam doesn’t work on Skype or its own program. It says can’t start video renderer cheak you’ve got valid DirectX installation and on its own program it says camera is not installed or camera is occupied by another user. I’ve tried everything and yet it still doesn’t work. Help please!?

1. Vojislava Djordjevic

I have Samsung laptop with built-in web camera, From time to time it does not
    work and after few days it works again all by itself. Why so?

• Vesra Longrell

Its a software problem.

Make sure you don't have programs like Skype, MSN msngr running in the background, then
    Start > Control Panel > System > "Device Manager" > Imaging Devices > Select the webcam,right-click, disable, wait for a min., enable it back again. Restart Acer.

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

3. Josh

Does anyone have any ideas about this on an Acer netbook? I've tried installing, un-installing, etc. Everything but a fresh Windows install, and whatever programs I use always says no camera is found. Are there any services that might be 'stopped' that the webcam is relying on? May years ago I stopped some services off of a list I found online to speed up booting...not sure if its related...and I can't find the list anymore.

4. Susendeep Dutta

Have you updated Direct X?

Does your webcam shows up while navigating through Tools --> Options--> Video settings-->Select webcam

Go to device manager and locate your webcam and see whether it has yellow exclamation mark.If,there's yellow mark present then install the driver or else uninstall the driver and restart your PC,then Windows will try to detect and install the driver.

You can also try to uninstall both the camera software and Skype,restart your PC and reinstall both of them.

If you have some other software that can access your webcam and is running behind,then terminate that program using task manager.In order to prevent other programs from using your webcam,you must disable all those programs from loading into memory while PC boot up.

Laptop model? windows version?
    make sure your antivirus not blocking your webcam

on windows 7 go to run and type: troubleshooting select it then click on configure a device and see if your webcam is listed there then select and follow.

How To Troubleshoot When Skype Has No Video [Windows]

Why can’t I see any video from my webcam?

This document applies to HP and Compaq Desktop PCs with the Windows Vista operating system.

Using and Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software