Why is my inbuilt webcam not recognized in Windows XP?

Christian I March 24, 2010

Windows XP Professional service pack 2 doesn’t recognize my inbuilt webcam on dell mini 9. What do I do?

Christian,

did you suggestions help? Were you able to fix your webcam? Please let us know!

A couple of suggestions:
    1. Install any necessary software that came with your computer
    2. If your computer has a recovery drive, there might be files and drivers that you need to install
    3. Turn your camera on by using the keyboard hotkey. Press the FN key and a corresponding F key (F1, F2, F3 etc - should be a picture that looks like a webcam) at the same time to turn it on.

3. Taty

I agree with Steve. It's possibly just a matter of upgrading the driver. go to the Dell website and search for technical support. you should be able to download any driver. Alternately, go to control panel > system> device manager and see if you can find the camera there. You should be able to see properties and have Windows look for the driver online for you.

4. Steve Campbell

Did you recently reinstall Windows or do any upgrades? Sounds like you're having a problem with the drivers of your webcam. Check Device manager to make sure you aren't missing any drivers. It's also possible that it could be a hardware issue or it's broken.