How can I improve my WordPress site?

Lewis August 2, 2010

I have just made a WordPress site and am wondering how I can improve it.

I’m trying to get Google ads on it, but they haven’t accepted my application for some reason. Also, I tried to restructure the posts similar to MakeUseOf, but that just stopped the post link working.

www.7ixi.co.cc

What do you think?

1. Lewis

Ok thanks, what sort of work can you do? I quite like the theme I have at the moment but as you say having it personalised would be nice.
    I don't know how to stop the back button from doing that, I don't know what's doing it

• Josh Fox

I don't know if you've looked at my blog, but it's what I can show as far as what I can do. Granted, it's certainly not my best work, but I wanted something that would be compatible between the WordPress theme and my Twitter theme. You can see it by clicking my picture and following the link.I just finished the new theme and some other tweaks on it today, for the most part anyway.

2. Lewis

Thanks guys,
    Josh - I have got twitter on the right side of my page and will put disqus in when I can :). I don't know how to edit the theme so I will need some help there.
    Ryan - What kind of information do you think I should put in about me? I don't really want it to get too personal.
    And I didn't know about the back button doing that (and I use FF too lol) I don't know where the script is or how it got there so I can't remove it :S

• Josh Fox

If you would want me to do some theme work for you, you can contact me via DM on Twitter either @_313 or @digitalheadblog. I have time this week that I could put into doing something.

If you're not wanting to get too personal with the about page, keep it professional, such as your background in the subject matter, the what the readers can expect to find, contact information, sponsors, and other stuff like that.

For the back button not working, I tried it after reading rdube's comment and it did the same thing for me after a little bit of navigation. If you didn't implement it yourself, it could be a bug in the theme templates or the web host. It only happened to my in Firefox, but not in Chrome.

3. Ryan Dube

Lewis, I agree with Josh's observations - it's always a good idea to tweak the theme and make it your own, unless of course it serves all of your needs. Most importantly though, I'd suggest getting the About me page up there quickly, and make it personal. Personally, I feel that people feel a connection to a site and want to return when they can get to know the person behind the site and appreciate who runs the show there. People are more likely to come back if they feel like they "know you" - and you'll find that the About page may become one of your most popular pages (at first) because of this.

Also - while short posts are good, you do want to add an occasional 300 to 500 word post so that people see some real "meat" to the content that will make them want to come back for more.

One last observation - there's something stopping the "back" button (at least for FireFox) for your blog entries. I've seen this script on other sites as a method to prevent you from leaving the page, and it's quite annoying. I'd suggest getting rid of that script immediately or risk alienating a lot of visitors as it's very frustrating.

Other than that, I actually like the them and the look of the site is pretty cool.

Best of luck!

4. Josh Fox

Just some suggestions, but for comments, I like Disqus. It's simple to setup and easy to use. I would also customize the theme to make it yours. (I'm still working on the theme for my own site as well) Using a plugin to tweet your blog posts with on the associated Twitter account might be a good idea. I use WordPress Tweeter for this. I haven't used adsense in a long time, and don't remember the application process, so I can't be much help there.

Some more information on your About page might be helpful, maybe some of your background and whatnot. It looks a little empty right.

If you would want some help with the graphics and customizing, I would be willing to lend my services. It's one of my professions. :)