How can I improve my website?

Lewis October 1, 2011

What could I do to improve my website?

I made it a while ago, and have just decided to start using it again. What could I improve?

1. Josh Fox

You have to do summaries manually by clicking on the broken page icon to insert a page jump.

You could scale down the image and use it as a logo somewhere, even in a custom block at the top of your sidebar. If you put a solid background behind the text areas of the blog and tame the page's background, it'll be easier to focus on the content.

• Lewis

Ah ok thanks, I will try and do that at some stage.

Sorry for the delayed reply, not been on Disqus for a while and been busy.

2. Lewis

Tried .co.cc before, worked fine until Google started hating it..

I have put a like button for posts, but cant work out how to add one in the sidebar for the actual fb page

3. Josh Fox

James is right, co.cc domains will generally get flagged as spam. Having a .com domain will boost credibility a lot more than you would imagine, especially when compared to free domains. (more than 10,000% more traffic on my site when I changed from co.cc to .com)

Having summaries (first paragraph should work) on the front page instead of the full articles would also make it easier to navigate. A different color for the article titles would be nice so they don't blend in with the article's text.

The "share this" links look a little broken up with the Google +1 button not being with the other 4 buttons. Having them all in the same manner makes it look less like an afterthought.

My last suggestion is just the background. It would be a good idea to use something else. The existing background ends half-way down the page. It could also make it difficult to read text. Nobody likes having to highlight text just to be able to read it. Changing the background to a solid color, gradient, or a tiled texture along with putting solid (non-transparent) colors in text areas would help a lot with the readability.

• Lewis

Yeah I used to have a .co.cc domain, I'll consider a .com

Yeah, I can't work out how to change either of them though.. I'm using blogger, could you help?

Thats what Google puts with the posts, dont have a option to change it(can't find anything to do with it atm, but I'm sure it was somewhere), I'd be fine with just the +1 and like button but I cant get it how I want it.. I now have a like button above:/

So a plain background? I'd be fine with that, but I like having the phoenix, even though its a bit weird.. because its in the blog name. Is there another way I could encorporate it in, if I remove it as the background?

The major problem is from an SEO standpoint - your articles are incredibly short, so google wont rank them as being informative pieces. You also list them all on the homepage in full, so if they have individual pages then they're simply duplicating content already on the homepage. 

Do NOT get a .co.cc domain, it will only hurt your ranking and remove ANY credibility your website has. Spend the $7 needed to get a real domain. 

• Lewis

Ah ok, I will try to write longer articles, at the moment I don't have too much spare time, so I thought small articles would be better than no content. Yeah, I can't see an option to change that in Blogger, it might be on by default and I just haven't written any long enough posts for it to work..

Ok thanks:)

Create : Facebook page, youtube channel, google sms channel (optional) , rss feeds,
    and put links in a "connect  section."
    it may increase traffic.

keep reading other sites, stay updated to update others.
    by the way what do you want to achieve from your blog ? keep that in mind, and act accordingly.

• Lewis

Ok, thanks, I made a Facebook page but when I add a like button to the bottom of each post it only likes the actual page its on, but I don't mind that.

I can't work out how to add a Like button in the sidebar though, below the twitter feed, it only allows me to add these rubbish 'gadgets'..

If you're just trying to host a blog, it looks fine to me. I would consider purchasing a domain name and developing (or buying) a template. Your banner also says "Internet, Technology, Software, Downloads, Howto's, Trending Topics", but what if I wanted to view just one topic, such as downloads? I would make a menu available so that users can find which topic to browse, and keep your recent feeds as the homepage.

Lastly, "Software" and "Downloads" I find is redundant, just "downloads" is fine.

• Lewis

Ok, I'll have a think about buying a domain, how much is it? I've looked before but I can't remeber how they work, do you buy the name, then have to pay a seperate price each month?

Ok, thanks, I've changed that now:)

• Jeff Fabish

Hi Lewis,

A domain name is about $12.00 USD per year. You will have to renew your domain every so often, usually about once a year, however you can purchase the domain for extended periods of time ($24.00 for 2 years, etc.). newsofthephoenix. com is available for purchase. 

With Godaddy (and most other hosts), "shared hosting" comes with the domain. Shared hosting isn't that great, but it'll work for getting you started. There are four types of hosting, shared, dedicated, virtual and cloud. Usually, hosts allow you to purchase a lot more than just a domain name and hosting, such as private registration (for whois searches), emails, installation of addons and SSL (to name a few).

• Lewis

Ok, thanks Jeff

the URL is a bit long though, not sure how I could shorten it?
          And I think I can keep on using Google to host the domain with blogger. I think that would be easier, as its free:)

• Jeff Fabish

You can use a URL Shortening service to shorten newsofthephoenix.com. 

• Lewis

Hmm, but I could use one anyway? And your link is broken

• Jeff Fabish

Fixed, sorry. Ultimately the decision of a domain name is up to you, I think that newsofthephoenix is fine, if you think it's too long, purchase a different domain. However, URL shortening is handy for social exchange of your website (specifically online) while maintaining a fully qualified domain name.