How can I improve my website?

Blake Barker September 18, 2012

I am running a site called Digitech Guide (http://www.digitechguide.webs.com). What do you think of it, and how can I improve it? I want it to be a fun and usable website.

1. Nikhil Chandak

or u must ask this question on
    www,webdesigntuts.com

2. Nikhil Chandak

by decorating it

3. Amit Sinha

Today almost all of websites use flash version to look it as eye catching

4. josemon maliakal

The first best thing to do is change your website to a good hosting service and have your own domain

5. shaurya gupta

the right side pane if filled with content while the left sided panel does not have much. the url is quite long. add some images along with the links and their description. And i really like the fat footer with various social media buttons. you must promote your webssite and have interesting content like MUO. And there is a whole lot of tech guide websites around. it will be hard.

6. Alexis Akridge
  7. Siddhant Chaurasia

The background could be improved. To improve this you can try finding some online templates for your website.

To create a website,you need to follow some design principles.Try to make your site W3C compliant.

Responsive Web Design Guidelines and Tutorials -

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/responsive-web-design-guidelines-tutorials/

Although your site uses white space but it must be used more in ads rather than sacrificing it for content of this site.The texts are small and image position is at the end of each article.You must insert images in between articles.IF possible,try to embed some interactive videos.

The top side of you site must be small so that some part of the starting article can be seen.

The login link must have picture like you had used Facebook to login then you must use Facebook logo.You can ask user to verify their email by asking them to visit your site and login it from their inbox.

Recent articles,Popular posts are all sections of your site and I think there must be more than 4 articles in your site.So you must make those section buttons clickable and position it to left hand side.

The download center has used tile interface but the icons inside it must be included instead of having the extensions of the file.There must be two line descriptions about the software and how it'll benefit the user.You are using minus service,then why not only give a link to that site and you design the organization of softwares under different categories.

The contact,about us,advertise button links must be placed below of your site.

Adjust the Subscription Center word under more section.

Take some inspiration from some good site which has aesthetic feel and please to the users.

There are some spelling mistakes that you need to correct it.

Use Disqus or Lifefyre commenting system which offers myriad of options.

• Blake

Thanks! Great suggestions.

9. Elizerbeth

I'd suggest that you try to make it clear and simple. A bit too much things there which is hard to catch my attention to important stuff.

Start by making a real website; not something put together from a cookie-cutter "webs.com" template. Host it yourself, make it yourself, write your own content. Right now your front page content is entirely linked - is there anything original on here?

• Edmar Diego

Easy dude, don't slam on the kid he's just a newbie.

Well, when you call your blog "MakeUseOfTech blog" it may not be the best idea to ask for advice in the Answers section of the original makeuseof.com

"DigiTech" is an equally bad choice considering it's a one-to-one copy of the Harman Kardon brand name.

First thing I see when visiting the site is the About page which already makes me feel like there is nothing more to see (or find) on the page.

The source code is a disaster with a million of span elements

• Adam

I'm glad I don't post my site link. You stupid fuck. If you see an about page, ope up your blind eyes and see if there are other pages to click on. You grew up in a dump, I forgot. There are many sites that a person has About and then you can choose other pages. You are one stupid shit. Google forums are the same you idiot.

Blake, your site is ok but I'd suggest showing more personality in posts. Also maybe change DigiTech to DigitalTech since DigiTech is another company... but so is MakeUseOf...

And you would be?... nevermind

Here is the thing tho:
          When people visit a personal site they don't mind being greeted by the about, CV or other personal information. It is expected.

When you visit (what appears to be) a topic related site you expect to get this type of information, not the about, disclaimer, contacts or whatever.

It's a general guideline which can be seen all around the web e.g. MakeUseOf, Lifehacker, Wired, Engadget, TechCrunch, Slashdot. How about none tech-related?Shacknews, NYTimes, BBC...

It's all about providing people with the relevant content.

• Edmar Diego

If your going to make your own site just learn. HTML and PHP or just use a CMS like Joomla. If you want really good a little flash here and there will help a lot. hope this helps .

• HLJonnalagadda

I think the best way is to use a CMS like Joomla if you are just starting out. That way, you can get the website customized with the least amount of coding. Later on, do learn basic web design, like CSS.

• Blake

Original? EVERYTHING on there is my post made from my brain.... with some help from other tech-savvy friends who post on the blog.

• Blake

But, I should ask what you mean by link? How else would I advertise the post on the homepage?

• Blake

"write your own content." I have been writing my complete own content, but then again you're just guessing, so I'll take answers that actually answer my questions. WordPress is also the same, it gives you all services all you do is add CSS, therefore, yes, this site has more CSS whereas I have none, but same exact idea. If a person doesn't visit a site because of the template, I'm highly concerned for the person -- the content is unique and a lot are helpful -- that's my main goal. I'll take the last advice on this page, it's by far the most realistic.

11. ahmed Fouad khalil

I do not know this site, but what i feel it is not ht ebest option

Why are you commenting then?

12. illegal3alien

Keep adding unique content. I would also recommend looking into increasing performance. GTMetrix and Site-perf.com can help with that.

On a 20Mbps connection is took 30 seconds, 1.11MB, and 131 resources. You should try and get the loading time to below 8-12 seconds. On a slower DSL line I'd imagine users would have a hard time loader the page.

• Erlis Dhima

On my 4Mbps it took 4 sec!

• shaurya gupta

no, it took just 2 second on Mbps.

• Erlis Dhima

What I think, is that you should not use a template of webs.com, or any other similar site! Maybe WordPress or Blogger can make a little difference! Especially blogger, since if you have good knowledge in XHTML, CSS or/and Java, you can build a professional page! But, if you want a really professional page, I think you should learn a lot of programming languages like: HTML/CSS/Java/PHP and many more... And than later after building the site, buying a server & domain, and than publishing and maintaining the site...
      But if you want a 'fan' page, or maybe without spending money, you should stick with blogger, since you can make the page look professional, than buy only a domain, which is very cheap, and in the end, you will have a very good site!

13. Eserpess der

Look at other more profetional websites and there layout. yours is a bit messy. also re do your colour sceme. Find the colours that match what your trying to create and play with them...youll have to do and re do them a few times just to get an idea of what looks good. just by changing these few things itll look alot neeter and more professional.