How can I improve the signal of my Linksys Wireless G router?
Question by Bob Rieman /

I have an old Linksys Wireless G 2.4 GHz broadband router. It provides Internet access for a PC, Wii and Playstation approximately 50 feet away on another floor of my home.

Recently, the signal has been considerably weaker. Could this be attributed to by router, or is it my ISP?

We ran cable from the router to the Playstation but still seem to get a weak signal. The computer to which the router is attached reccieves an acceptable signal. What can I do to improve the signal for all my devices?

update the router firmware

Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander WRE54G Repeater
    http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Wireless-G-Range-Expander-WRE54G/dp/B00021XIJW

1. In the address bar type: 192.168.1.1 (or yours?) and press enter
    2. Leave the username box blank and type admin in the password
    3. Select the wireless tab, and then the basic wireless settings tab beneath it
    4. Switch to the highest channel possible (if dont work try lowest channel), then press save settings. see if one of them helps.

• Bobr

ha14, thank you for your reply.  I tried this, unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.  If you have further thought, please let me know.  Bob

well possible you have to consider another router, if Linksys do not perform as in the past.

Change Ethernet cable.

you can contact your ISP if you think is from them.

10 tips to help improve your wireless network
      http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

Hello, if you have a lot of area to cover in your network I would consider buying an N class router with range booster.  Theoricatically it can cover an area of 300 m.  Most times it is just a matter of finding a central location for you router where there is not much interference to its signal is enough to improve the signal. 

I assume you are talking about the wireless signal – in that case no, it has nothing to do with your ISP.

The wireless signal is interfered by pretty much anything around, kitchen appliances especially microwaves, wireless landline phones (they use the same 2,4GHz band), mobile phones, cables and pipes running through walls.
    Of course other electronics and any WiFi device or network around add to the interference and weaken the signal too.

If the signal got weaker from one point to another I assume it is as simple as that the router may have been physically moved (one or two feet can be enough to change the signal) or maybe the signal is blocked or interfered by an physical object placed next to it. Another possibility could be that some other WiFi network was installed near your location that is interfering.

As for your Playstation:
    Running a cable to it doesn’t improve the WiFi signal. It will very much be the same. However if you wired your PS to the network you should turn off it’s WiFi anyways.

As for solutions there are many but nothing guaranteed.

I would start by auditing the WiFi signals around you e.g. using
    inSSIDer
    . Make sure you are using a WiFi channel that is neither used within your range nor overlapping with another WiFis channel.
    Second option would be to try moving the router to another location but results may be borderline. 

One may suggest to buy antennas with a higher dBi gain for the router but reality is: You can buy a second router for the same money of an decent antenna. In short you are better off buying some $30-50 router to cover additional area.

• Bobr

Mike, thank you for your thoughtful reply.  I went to inSSIder, and there were two wireless connections.  One was mine, and the other was from the games.  Mine was registering about -71, the other about -95.  You mentioned that I should turn off the wifi from the games. 

Being a router novice, how do I interpret what inSSIder is telling me?

You also mentioned having a second router.  My current router is next to my pc. Would a second router also be connected to my cable modem?  Should I use a longer cable to place it closer to the equiptment upstairs? 

A final thought should I consider buying an N class router with a range booster?  This has been suggested to me.  Thanks again, Bob

Although the latest version looks a bit different this guide should help you to understand inSSIDer.

The basic meaning was that if the other WiFi is running e.g. on channel 11 you should have your WiFi running on channel 1 or 2, this way the frequency is not overlapping giving you close to none interference.

What you mentioned there is the first and best thing you should do: Place the WiFi router in a more central location closer to the other WiFi devices. Generally it’s suggested to have the router at the top (floor) to cover the entire area rather than having it at the lowest point.

The problem with technologies like “range booster” and whatever else is advertised is that they can do only so much. What most of them don’t mention is that both the router and the client have to support it and often have to be from the same vendor to see any improvement.

Wireless-N doesn’t really improve signal strength or quality unless it is using the 5GHz band which is less interfered by everyday technology. While it does offer a higher data rate in general it will also drop down when the signal is too weak or of low quality duo to interference.

And again, 5GHz and Wireless-N have to be supported by both, the router and the client. If all your devices are “B/G” a Wireless-N router won’t really do anything.

Hope that helps and answers some question. At this point I  think all the answers in this topic cover pretty much all possibilities.