How can I improve my organic search results with Yahoo?

syedmuktha April 16, 2010

I have added my website named http://www.bestpackersnmovers.com to the Yahoo directory in the standard listing. I paid the money of $299 annually. I was told that the website will be reviewed in 7 business days.
Currently, my site is listed in Yahoo directory, but no improvement in organic search result. Please help me anyone.

Whoa, for real? You spent $300 for that? Wow.
    http://www.Ultimate-Anonymity.com

I disagree with both Taty and Mark. While link in the Yahoo Directory won't be enough to boost your rankings it still considered to be a very solid link from the established directory. First of all it will get your site indexed faster.

To actually see your organic traffic grow you need to your service on social media sites and a try to get it linked from already established sites like MakeUseOf. In your place I would start a blog under your domain .../blog/ and produce some consumer oriented articles around the topic. If people find the article useful they will start promoting them on social media site like StumbleUpon, Twitter and Digg. Ultimately Google should start sending some traffic to those page. This won't happen in a day though.

3. Mark O'Neill

Yeah sorry to tell you too but that was the biggest waste of money ever. It's generally acknowledged that no-one ever looks at Yahoo directories anymore. They were big in the 1990's when Google was a nobody and Yahoo ruled the roost. But these days, the Yahoo directories are a waste of time. In fact I am surprised that they are still around - I heard somewhere that Yahoo was disbanding and deleting them. Obviously they decided they could make some more money first.

As Taty says, focus on relinking, content and SEO. Use Google Webmaster Tools (which is free). MakeUseOf has published a lot of articles on SEO - in particular, check out Ryan Dube's articles.

4. Taty

Hi syedmuktha. I am sorry to tell you, but it was kind of a waste of money. Though some of those directories can make your site easier to use, they have little or no effect on organic searches, especially on search engines that really matter, like Google. What you need is re-linking, content and word of mouth, not paid directories.