How can I improve the Chrome browser’s performance on a slow PC?

Richard October 21, 2011

I am interested to know how I can continue to use Google Chrome on computer with slow hardware. I am now forced to use a Pentium 4 with 2GB DDR II Ram, which for today’s standards is obviously outdated. I really like Chrome, but on this machine I can only use Opera the way I want. When I use Chrome it makes a process for every new tab and extension which after the 4th-5th tab is an incredible memory and CPU hog. I normally use opera with ~20+ tabs open (and ~500-600 mb ramusage along with 20% CPU tops) but with Chrome I can’t even think about doing so. Is there anything I can do to lower Chrome’s recourse consumption?

Try TopWin Prio
    TopWinPrio will give priority to whichever you have in focus. it's portable and can be set to restart with windows.

• Mjevolve

i would like to add , ( and you must be familiar with ), 
      for altering the Running Applications Priorities , and Processor Threads and Resource Utilization so as to enable the computer running efficiently ,  the best program is Process Lasso (  ) .

I would say the problem isn't with the tabs, plugins or extensions itself but the content in or of them. 

If there is interactive content or a script on the website or within the extension their process will obviously continue to use CPU power and have higher memory usage. The same goes for plugins like Flash. Whenever they are active they will use your CPU and a fair amount of memory.

Yes, you can use Panic button for this :

When you want to work in current tab, but other tabs are making chrome slow, hit the panic button.
      It will close other tabs, and when you press panic button again, it will re-open all the tabs.
      it will be useful when you have so many tabs that you don't really need right now, but want to use them later.

It will close them and create temporary bookmarks,
      You can notice the difference in the task manager, when only one tab is running, it will stop useless memory usage!

press shift+esc on chrome, and select what do you need.
    Remove extensions that you do not use.
    Close tabs that you dont really need right now, even I open 20+ tabs, but actually we don't need 20+ tabs opened. check how many of them are really required to stay opened.
    Chrome updates itself, so you don't need to look for a updated version.