How can I improve my BlackBerry’s battery life?

Lewis Lebentz September 5, 2012

I have had a BlackBerry Curve 8520 for nearly 2 years, and the battery had gotten really bad so recently I bought a new battery. For the first maybe week or so it was brilliant and would last a whole day without needing to be recharged. But now, about 3 weeks later, it needs charging after about 8 hours (8AM-4PM) with very little use during that time. It is only slightly better than the battery I had previously that is only a year old! What is happening?

I have reverted back to the original theme, deleted all unnecessary apps (rarely use any anyway, apart from BBM), deleted all old messages, formatted my Micro SD card, yet it is still not performing well. But my sister who has had the same phone for the same amount of time, still easily lasts over 8 hours!?

The only thing that I think it could be is that I have ~500 email address on my phone, ~100 phone numbers, and about ~250 BBM contacts. Would this affect it though?

1. nitesh4life

Lewis,

High-end phones or Smartphones usually consume more battery power than any basic phones.
    - Kindly switch off Bluebooth and/or Wifi, when not in use.
    - Make changes or reduce the brightness level of phone's display screen.
    - 'Activate Power Saving' helps to save and preserve power that would be helpful especially during any kind of emergency.
    - Update your phone software regularly.
    I hope, these small but essential details will help you.
    Good Luck.
    Regards,
    Nitesh

2. Irshaad Abdool

do not use wifi when not necessary

3. GrrGrrr

I would suggest disable the following 2 and observer the battery level:
    1. 3G/data
    2. Bluetooth

also ensure that you close the running applications, not just have them run in background.

perhaps to soft reset or hard reset the phone (make a backup first) and see if the problem repeats or solved.

Ten Tips and Tricks to Extend your BlackBerry Battery Life!
    http://crackberry.com/ten-tips-and-tricks-extend-your-blackberry-battery-life

Set it to autoshut and autostart at particular time of the day as per your wakeup and sleep schedule and also probably for saturday and sundays you can set it to start later and shut earlier. Blackberry supports that feature.

6. Joel Alar

Hi Lewiz, did you try to disable the wifi radio of your bb when not in use, and disable all the notifications. did you try to observe if you having a hard time getting signal from your carrier. searching signals may easily drain your batteries.

You'd changed your battery still having same problem,then the problem also lies in your phone's circuit board too.You can improve your battery strength by reducing the charging and discharging cycles.

8. Dalsan

Where did you get the battery? Cheap batteries from a not so reputable company will not last as long or produce similar results as long. Tim has the general areas covered with what kills batteries quicker. Make sure you don't have many apps that require constant updating of information or reduce the amount they try to refresh as that will constantly run the battery and reduce battery life. Don't let the battery run fully out too often, but also don't have the battery charging for too long, either. Once a month should be fine to run the battery down all the way, then charge it all the way while the phone is off to help try to reset the battery meter a little (anecdotal, buy works for some). Usage and whether you have plenty of signal or not will have a huge factor, as it will constantly search for signal if the signal gets too low. Hope these help you out, but definitely see if you can get a replacement battery under warranty of the one you just got, it isn't supposed to go that quickly.

9. Tim Brookes

Lewis,

There are a few things that might be causing your battery life woes, though I would have thought a new battery should last longer than three weeks before noticeably slowing down. The biggest killer for batteries is heat, so I must ask are you in a hot part of the world? Do you leave your phone in the car where it's exposed to heat? I know there's not much you can do about the weather, but keeping the battery as cool as possible is the best way of preserving its life.

Other things that consume power are, pretty much in this order in terms of drain:

The screen, notably the backlight. Reducing the backlight brightness is the best way to save power as this uses more power than anything else.

Notifications. Push notifications really drain power too, so if you're getting a lot of messages via BBM which uses the cellular network to transfer its data then this might explain why your phone drains so fast.

Mobile internet usage in general. 3G is a big drain, and I find if I completely disable mobile data (not a great option, I know) then my battery gets almost double the life on my iPhone. Instead I use Wi-Fi which barely consumes anything in comparison - this is only my findings, your own might be different.

GPS. If you're using your phone as a navigation device a lot, this can really kill the battery too. I know you're probably not doing this, but it's worth seeing what is using location services.

Apps in general. Might be a silly thing to point out, but games and other apps (watching videos, listening to radio and music) drain the battery too.

Animated backgrounds. It's a longshot, but an animated background is bound to use more processing power than a static background. I know you mentioned restoring the theme, but it may be animated anyway.

I have written an article about general smartphone use and maximising battery, and we've published a couple more since. Here's one:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-ways-boost-cell-phone-battery-life-iphone-android-smartphones/

And here's another written recently:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-your-phones-battery-last-longer-and-hold-more-juice/

Last of all - there's always the option to either take the battery back where you got it because 3 weeks is not a great run for the money you paid. You could also try factory resetting your phone back to standard settings and starting again, which may fix any software problems causing the drain.

Hopefully this helps, good luck!

• Justin Pot

These are great tips, Tim, and I wouldn't hope to add to them. I suspect, based on the question, that this battery might need to be replaced entirely, but there's always a chance something in this list will solve the problem.

I love seeing answers this good here.