Why does my iMac freeze?

Jerarde April 28, 2011

What would be the most common cause for an iMac to freeze up?

Yes, type of "freeze" would help too.

Faulty logic board

If it were pc, I'd say reinstall. But I don't think that will help. Do you have access to the appropriate hardware diagnostics CDs, as that will test and pinpoint/crash on hardware issues. Depends on your model, as there are a few versions of the CDs around. Do you have another computer you can download and burn a DVD from, or are you using some kind mobile device to post this?

I assume you're out of warranty?

The most common cause would be a bad Kernel Extension which might be fixed by (re)installing the latest Combo Update of the system.

But it depends a lot on the type of Freeze e.g. sometimes the entire Finder will be frozen (hanging) while the system is still operating in the background. This is way I always turn on showing the seconds in the clock (they will keep counting as usual). Another way to spot this is by SSHing into the machine.

Another reason for a freeze could be a faulty Hard Drive. If Mac OS X is trying to access system files on a bad Hard Drive or Sector it will try almost indefinitely to read them.