Can my iGoogle homepage be infected in Chrome but not Firefox?

Myke46 July 23, 2011

I use both Firefox and Chrome, but have the same iGoogle homepage in both. When I open it in Chrome, a full window sized warning that my homepage is infected with malware shows. When I open it in Firefox there is no warning. I have run scans from within the browser and on the whole system. Any ideas?

Jeffery,Thank you for your response.Just to clarify:I do use online scanners(ESET,BitDefender among others)but I also run Malwarebytes,Superantispyware,Spybot Search and Destroy scans and use Microsoft Security Essentials and Comodo Firewall as real-time protection.As it turns out some of the widgets I had (all from same provider)were the problem.

• Jeffery Fabish

Glad I could help, Myke!

Just to be sure, what is the link to your iGoogle homepage? (Case: Phishing) Could you also give more details on the specifics of the warning message? 

This is most likely happening because of a widget you've included in your page. Chrome finds it because Google maintains the website (there for has the flexibility to extend security into its browser), whereas Firefox will show you a Google security warning, only if you are redirected from Google to a page that is allegedly infected. 
    You say you've run scans from within the browser on the entire system, I presume you mean an online scanner? These typically are slower and don't detect as much as a traditional desktop scanner, such as Malwarebytes.