Do you have ideas for a makeshift docking station for my laptop?

Brooks Lampe December 1, 2010

What’s the best way to reduce the number of items I must plug in to my laptop whenever I want to connect/disconnect it from my desktop set up, which includes an LCD monitor (1080×1920, VGA, DVI, HDMI), external mouse/keyboard and printer.

I basically am looking for a docking station or USB port that can preserve video quality. I do not care about external speakers. I’ve tried a docking station, but the refresh rate was terrible on the monitor.

1. Josh Fox

You might want to look into a USB hub to cut the 3 USB plugs down to 1. I would not recommend using a hub for higher speed devices like external hard drives, flash drives, or USB wireless adapters. A keyboard, mouse, and printer plugged into the same hub should work fine. Other than that, there's not really any other way around a docking station to get the video AND other peripherals connected.