Why do my icons all appear as Word documents?

Sonja October 10, 2011

My programs are opening correctly, but all the icons appear on the screen as if the files were Word documents. Can you help me with having them changed back?

1. rao

as i installed by downloading vlc media player it suddenly changed few of my icons like matlab,IDM,internet explorer etc....how can i restore them back...but it hasent made any changes in working of my system or functioning of replaced icon.. iv win7 os..

Sonja,

were you able to restore your icons? Please keep us updated and let us know in case you need further support. Thank you!

3. Mjevolve

rebuilding the icon cache database might resolve this .

try these steps ...

open CMD window .( start > run > type cmd and press enter . or look in accessories )

run these commands in the CMD window , and after each command press Enter .

1>taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    ( enter )
    2>CD /d %userprofile%AppDataLocal
    ( enter )
    3>DEL IconCache.db /a
    ( enter )
    4>shutdown /r
    ( enter )this will rebuild the cache and restart your computer and might resolve the problem ...hope it helps .... 

you have not mentioned the extension of the file. which format it is.
    right click the icon >> go to properties >>  open with >>select appropriate application to open with (eg .mp3 file winamp)

may be this is not the proper solution, because
    you will have to do it with each type of file, I think you had some infection on ur pc.that played a prank.

try this to solve it permanently.
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/290205-all-my-program-icons-turned-into-word-files/
    try to do what they say.

I will also recommend a system restore if nothing works.
    if you dont want to download that file, the system restore will also set the registry to default.