Why do icons change back to default upon opening them when folders are pinned to Windows 7 taskbar?

roger May 11, 2010

This is quite a trivial question, it has no effect on anything of any importance, but I would like an answer if possible.

Yesterday I came across a method to pin any folder to the Windows 7 taskbar:
On your desktop make a new shortcut “c:\windows\explorer.exe path-to-folder” and simply move to the taskbar.

So I pinned “program files” and “downloads” to my taskbar and, for no particular reason, changed their icons: shift+right-click on the icon – select “properties” – select “change icon” – browse and select new icon – restart explorer.exe

Alright, that’s the setup, and now the question.
When I click on the “program files” icon “program files” opens and the taskbar icon changes to a standard folder icon (this does not happen if I open “program files” via explorer), then goes back to my choice icon when I close the folder. Okay, that’s fair enough, however when I click on “downloads” the folder opens, the icon stays the same BUT the “program files” icon changes to the standard downloads-folder icon (buff folder with blue arrow superimposed). On closing the folder the icon goes back to my choice. Why?

1. Steve Campbell

Roger,

To be honest I'm not particularly sure why you are experiencing this problem. I've noticed that when I open things sometimes some of my icons change or go blank for a short period of time. It's probably just a bug in the newly released Windows 7, but who knows. It is one of their new features, maybe they're working on it.

I really don't think it's anything you're doing.

Sorry, having just checked my question I notice that I forgot to mention that I got the info on how to pin folders from downloadsquad.com ( http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/04/24/how-to-pin-multiple-folders-to-your-windows-7-taskbar?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_downloadsquad ).
    Thanks, roger.