Why does my IBM ThinkPad T43 even freeze when BIOS is launched?

MerVzter Balacuit September 23, 2012

Scenario:

– I can boot OS ,but after about 3-5 minutes will suddenly freeze.
– Sometimes it freezes in BIOS or POST, but even if it freezes, the blank cursor is still blinking.
– I noticed at some point when I’m going to type on the keyboard or put pressure on the keyboard, after a second it will freeze.

I found a similar case, and it’s kind of a motherboard problem or bug issue from the manufacturer itself. But I need your opinion here guys if you experienced this kind of situation. Thank you!

1. illegal3alien

I would guess that the solder is falling apart. When you put pressure on it, it causes places to short out or become disconnected and that causes the crashes. It's definitely a hardware problem. (This is the same problem that caused RROD and YLOD is consoles).

• MerVzter Balacuit

i agree, since it suddenly fail when i try to pressure the keyboard,,

As you correctly assumed issues that effect the POST or BIOS are usually hardware related. Since your issues occur at random times I would say it's either a problem with the power supply or the GPU/CPU chip.

You could try taking it apart, make sure all cables, connectors and pins are connected, the RAM properly seated and the fan is clear of dust and other stuff. If you need assistance you can get the hardware maintenance manual at the Lenovo support section.
    http://support.lenovo.com

Even if it was a manufacturing issue I'm afraid the device is way out of it's warranty and manufacturer support. Getting a new motherboard will probably be more expensive than getting a new notebook except you want to try your luck purchasing it on eBay and the like.

• MerVzter Balacuit

thanks sir mike, i did all those things but it didnt work, the fun is good, the ram is good.. dust free, i pointing GPU sometimes since the manufacturer have a bug issue for this type of GPU for this laptop series.. just suspected..

how about to flash/update BIOS?

you can try to reset CMOS battery
    remove ram, clean them, and boot (if you want you can try to boot one time without ram which will fail then reinsert ram and reboot)

this can also be do from your keyboard, try to unplug and replug.

• MerVzter Balacuit

i did all of it before, i thought before it was a ram problem becos when i swap the ram it works for a while but when i tried to type something or pressure on the keyboard after 5 secs it freeze .. my bios is the latest update..