I want to buy a laptop in India, what configuration is best?

Mahesh Pendharkar April 3, 2013

I want to use it for development and web video. What laptops should I look for?

Asus is one of the best laptop makers and you can choose a variety from their portfolios.So,

Asus S550CM-CJ054H Ultrabook would be better for you.

2. Vedavyas Paruchuri

HP 630 is the best laptop

3. Chinmay Sarupria

It depends on the type of laptop you want - gaming or normal.
    For gaming laptop you should go with Dell Alienware and for normal you should go with Dell Inspiron or Dell Vostro or HP Pavilion.

depends on your budget.

Top 10 Laptops for Web and Graphic Designers of 2008
    http://speckyboy.com/2008/07/12/top-10-laptops-for-web-and-graphic-designers-of-2008/

5. Vishal S

u should buy as per requirment basic requirment for a ideol laptop is 2gb ram i5 processor 1 gb graphic card and hdd as per data storage of urs

6. Prashant M

I would firstly like to know your budget to recommend you one

get a laptop with either i5 or i7 processor, minimum 4 GB RAM, if possible go for SSD drives, minimum 1 GB video card. but it also depends upon your budget as well as how much work are you going to do on it.

Configuration suggestion will depend totally on the nature of work you want to do on the laptop. So kindly give some direction on that regard.

9. Hank Ashkenazi

I have lived in India. I find the Electronics items to be quite expensive there after the VAT and all that. :(

But, let me tell you this,...as the previous commentor mentioned....

ACER and PACKARD BELL are at the very low end of brands. I do NOT recommend these brands due to low build quality [my experience]. You may find a lucrative deal, but if it's too good to be true, it is.

Anyway, coming back to the point....CONFIGURATION.

Ha,...AMD processors are rare in most big brands.

Intel's I5 range and i7 range are awesome. These are the processors that perform well.
    If you are on a budget, get an i5 with a good clock speed. i7 is much costlier since it has a superior motherboard and stuff.

2GB of DDR3 RAM is sufficient. {If you're not a gamer} How many programs are there that consume more than 2 Gigs actively. If you multitask, then 4 GB .....quite enough.

Hard Disk....it depends on your need. If you find that you need more storage, you can buy an external drive anytime.

Graphics Card ....is a very IMPORTANT part if you are a serious gamer or as you mentioned......multimedia, web developer, etc.

Do not opt for integrated Intel HD Graphics. The end result is much better with ATI Mobility or an NVIDIA dedicated chipset. 1GB Graphics Memory is fine. But, it must have a good clock speed too, 900MHz is a good speed. 600MHz is a widely popularized speed in India, some manufacturers like ASUS do this...WATCHOUT!

That's it buddy....now if you want battery life.......Samsung is good.....also check out the Dell Ultrabooks,,,,though, a bit overpriced.

If you want to go all out, buy a SONY Vaio, these are optimized for multimedia and they give you a fashion status.

Peace.

10. DalSan M

Minimum for the Intel processors would be an i5, though i7 would be best. For AMD, the A-10 might be okay, but not as good as an Intel i7 or i5, though a video card may not be needed. Otherwise a Phenom II with a decent video card would be good. 1GB video card or better would make for quicker and a better time with editing photos and videos. If at all possible, get one with SSD and HDD for drives since it will allow quicker loading, reading, and writing times for programs while having plenty of storage space. As far as brands of laptops, most of the larger names offer similar quality, though many might say that Acer is the lower quality big brand name, and Toshiba would be near the top brand.