I have 4GB of RAM installed, but only 3.84GB is usable, how can I make all 4GB usable?

September 11, 2013

I use Windows  7 64 bit and i can’t use my full ram. My system information says:
RAM :4GB (usable 3.84) what can i do to mak it fully usable

1. ???????? ?

Your Ram Is Not Fitted Properly, Check It And Thank Me Later

2. Craig S

This can be one of two different things. Memory that is shared with other resources such as graphics as already mentioned or the other being the physical limitations of the motherboard. This is where the motherboard can support and see the full 4 GB but only has the ability to use the 3.84GB. I am unable to recall exactly what this is called as it happened to me a while ago but it is something to do with the number of addresses the motherboard can assign the ram and as such it does not have enough to assign to the full 4 GB.

Your best bet to test this is use a dedicated graphics adapter and see if the full 4GB becomes available to your system. If it does not then you know that your MB does not fully support 4GB and your only solution would be to upgrade your hardware.

3. Keith L

I agree with the above answers. Hardware will assign and use memory as described. If you take the route to install more memory, above the 4 GB you already have, the system will not use it until you upgrade to a 64 bit operating system.

• Howard B

OP already said he has Windows 7 64-bit.

4. Jean-michel A

but here's the question how are you able to have all videos necessry MB go directly to the Video card Radeon HD 5770 that way you leave room in your board RAM ...

5. Igor R

i have a graphic card integrated...and it uses 128mb out of my 2 gb of ram..so dont worry..its a reserved video memory ...

I agree with Dalsan and Kev. You are actually USING all 4GB, and the "missing" 160MB are probably used for hardware support (e.g. Graphics card). Although you could reduce your graphics memory "window" in the BIOS settings, this would reduce the efficiency of the graphics card and would hardly make any difference to Windows.

Generally speaking, anything over 3GB should work fine for most users. If it doesn't, you should probably be investing in substantially more memory (e.g. 8GB or more).

7. Kev Q

As Dalsan said, the missing 160 or so MB will be for shared graphics. You won't be able to claim this back unless you buy a dedicated graphics card. But if you don't need a graphics intensive machine then you might as well use the money to buy a RAM upgrade. :-)

8. Alan W

What exactly are you hoping to see for the extra 0.16 gig of RAM? Believe me you will not see any difference at all.

It probably is being fully used, only the portion that is "missing" is being used for your shared video memory. Unless you have a discrete graphics card (not integrated with the motherboard or CPU chip), then enabling the use of the full 4GB would not be possible. Even with a discrete graphics card, you may still see some "missing" RAM.